St. Labre Indian Catholic School
Pretty Eagle Catholic Academy St. Charles Mission School
Job Title: High School Counselor
Department: St. Labre Indian Catholic School
Reports To: High School Principal
FLSA Status: Exempt - 9 month position
Job Code: Certified Salary Schedule
Approved Date: 11/15/2019
Counsels students and provides guidance services by performing the following duties.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned. * Indicates the non-essential duties and responsibilities. Nothing in this job description restricts St. Labre's right to assign and reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at and time.
1. Assists individuals to understand and overcome social and emotional problems.
2. Engages in research and follow-up activities to evaluate counseling techniques.
3. Provides guidance counseling on an individual basis.
4. Actively involves parents in the guidance counseling process.
5. Maintains and effective system for keeping counseling records accurate and up-to-date.
6. Keeps individual student counseling files.
7. Works with secretaries in keeping permanent student records up-to-date.
8. Keeps informed of current trends in the guidance and counseling areas.
9. Keeps a daily log. Meets weekly with the principal and counseling staff to monitor students' academic, behavioral and social progress.
10. Develops and maintains contacts with agencies that provide counseling and/or psychological services to high school students.
11. Generates a weekly eligibility list and distributes it to extracurricular staff.
12. Co-coordinates and facilitates Friend's Group counseling program.
13. Coordinates and facilitates Grief Group, Anger Management Group, and Young Mothers' Support Group.
14. Directs student registration at semester, and registers individual students throughout the school year.
15. Updates and generates student report cards each quarter.
16. Collaborates periodically with St. Labre Home in referral staffing and aftercare services for high school students.
17. Compiles data on students transferring in and out of St. Labre on students who drop out of St. Labre.
18. Provides student attendance data to tribal and state agencies.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Master's degree (M. S.) in Counseling and three to five years related experience and/or training preferred; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Training/experience working with adolescents is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Ability to teach moral and spiritual values to youth.
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
3. Ability to maintain materials of a highly confidential nature.
4. Superlative interpersonal skills.
5. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents and the general public.
6. Ability to deal effectively with questions or problems, seeking assistance when needed.
7. Respects the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ in private, personal, and public life.
8. Commitment to the mission of the Roman Catholic Church in Native American education.
9. Sensitivity to, and appreciation of Native American people and their cultures.
10. Ability to serve as an appropriate role model for students.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
OPI Counselor endorsement required.
Valid Montana driver's license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Application packet should include:
- Online application
- Cover letter
- Three current letters of reference
- College Transcripts
Ashland, MT 59003