The Campus Minister for the Catholic Student Center at Washington University (CSC) in St. Louis is responsible for student faith and leadership formation, outreach, and evangelization. As a team, all Campus Ministers serve through one-on-one mentorship, retreats, evangelization programs, faith formation programs, service programs and social gatherings. Campus Ministers live the Catholic faith in his/her daily life, balance a Catholic theological background with ministry skills, and have strong communication, organization, and planning skills.
This role will report to the Director of Campus Ministry and work in collaboration with the Campus Ministry team and the broader CSC staff and community.
Duties and Responsibilities (Shared by Campus Ministers)
- Provide outreach and spiritual support to students at Washington University's Danforth and/or Medical School campuses and the St. Louis College of Pharmacy campus through one-on-ones, meals, presence and other evangelization activities.
- Support student formation that encourage and train them to be effective leaders in church and society, rooted in Gospel values and in service.
- Coordinate residence hall outreach efforts to students in collaboration with CSC interns and the Catholic Student Union.
- Participate in Sunday Mass and weekday Mass and complete assigned duties.
-Maintain visible outreach presence on both campuses by regular attendance at student campus events, including but not limited to concerts, student presentations, receptions, and sporting events.
- Attend (including preparation, set-up, and clean-up) regularly scheduled student weekly events.
- Attend major CSC programs including, but not limited to, orientation and welcoming events, liturgical celebrations, CSC development events, and graduation events.
- Provide presence and spiritual support to students attending retreats and other key events hosted by the CSC.
- Provide leadership formation with students through a variety of programs.
- Assist with formation for Kent Intern-In-Service participants.
- Assist with retreat formation.
- Organize, coordinate and participate in winter break and/or spring break service trip(s). Recruit students, supervise, and mentor students/interns who assist with the trip. Organize preparatory team meetings that provide catholic social teaching education.
- Coordinate and recruit leaders for Core Communities faith sharing groups. Provide training and support for Core Community leaders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Required: Bachelor's Degree, preferred in theology, religious studies or related field.
- Preferred: Master's Degree in ministry/theology or a related field.
- Minimum of two years of ministry experience with a college/university campus ministry or young adult ministry.
- Practicing Roman Catholic.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others in a team-oriented manner in all interactions.
- Ability to adapt to change, be open to new ideas, take on new responsibilities, handle pressure, and adjust plans to meet changing needs.
- Capacity to work evenings, weekends, and holidays when necessary, and be flexible with schedule.