ACC DIRECTOR OF SACRED LITURGY & MUSIC
ACC MISSION: To be witnesses of a living faith in Jesus Christ
POSITION TYPE: Full-time
EFFECTIVE DATE: July 1, 2023
REPORTS TO: Pastor and ACC Business Administrator
This position contains dual roles:
1. (1/3) Director of Liturgy for the eight parishes of the Area Catholic Community of Mary, Mother of the Church
2. (2/3) Director of Music for the Parish of Saint Ann, Wadena
Primary Objective: Responsible for directing the liturgical and music people, programs, and protocols of the eight parishes in the ACC, and to assist the pastor to help each parish flourish in the encounter with Jesus in Word and Sacrament. - Responsible for directing all sacred liturgical and musical activities pertaining to worship, devotions, training of liturgical and music ministers and ensembles, care of liturgical and musical environment, furniture, instruments, vessels, vestments, books, and elements used in worship at the Parish of Saint Ann, in Wadena, Minnesota.
Job Duties for the Eight Parishes of the Community
1. Provide liturgical expertise for clergy on valid and licit celebration of sacraments and liturgies.
2. Conduct periodic meetings with leaders of music and liturgical ministries in the ACC.
3. Coordinate, collaborate and cooperate with leaders of music and liturgical ministries in the ACC for seasonal planning, special liturgies, training, and ongoing education.
4. Set and maintain standards of liturgical ministries through education and training, according to ecclesiastical norms.
5. Participate in diocesan events and ministries as needed.
6. Assist clergy and staff in the liturgical planning of funerals, weddings, and baptisms: includes meeting with families for the planning of these liturgies, as needed.
7. Oversee liturgical policies, procedures and guidelines for the ACC, and remain up to date with ecclesiastical norms and documents on the liturgy.
8. Oversee proper copyrights of liturgical publications within the ACC.
9. Collaborate with ACC staff for ACC functions.
10. Participate in ACC staff meetings.
11. Work with the ACC staff to prepare for special liturgies and liturgies for children.
12. Meet with engaged couples for the preparation of wedding liturgies.
13. Prepare liturgy and music for funeral liturgies, meet with the family as needed (skill and experience in empathy and grieving is beneficial).
14. Help the parish grow in understanding of the role of music in the liturgy, as envisaged by the magisterium of the Catholic Church.
15. Help the parish learn new liturgical adaptations and music at an appropriate pace.
16. Serve as a resource to educate the ACC Pastoral council, Parish Life Committees, staff and any other relative organizations.
17. Foster and develop the liturgical sense and musicianship of ministers and clergy.
18. Coordinate workshops and concerts as needed.
19. Make liturgy and music policies in conjunction with liturgical law, diocesan policies, the pastor, and liturgical commission (if founded).
20. Meet regularly with the pastor to discuss the vision and mission of the ACC in liturgical and music matters.
21. And any other duties as may be assigned by the pastor or business administrator, or to assist ACC staff and/or parishioners.
Job Duties at the Parish of Saint Ann, Wadena
1. Coordinate the music for parish liturgies and occasional extra-liturgical events.
2. Assume the role of lead musician (accompanist or choral director), with an expectation to participate in at least 50% of annual weekend Masses in this role (paid in addition to salary).
3. Make creative choices of sacred music and their prudent placement for liturgical celebrations.
4. Recruit and schedule various music ministries (e.g., choirs, cantors, instrumentalists).
5. Train, direct, and supervise choirs, instrumental ensembles and cantors.
6. Prepare assembly for liturgies by instructions or rehearsals prior to liturgies, and with students in parish religious education programs.
7. Plan liturgies (working with the presider/pastor and liturgy commission, if founded).
8. Coordinate work of church environment preparation for liturgical seasons and feasts.
9. Recruit, form, and schedule various liturgical ministers (e.g., lectors, extraordinary ministers of holy communion, etc.).
10. Secure proper copyrights for all printed materials used for liturgies.
11. Prepare and manage a music and liturgy budget for the parish worship program.
12. Develop and maintain a liturgical music library of various styles and genres for assembly, choir, cantor and instrumentalists.
13. Maintain the parish's musical instruments.
14. Make recommendations for the purchase of instruments, sound equipment, literature, and church supplies.
15. Collaborate with ACC Information Technology position to monitor and adjust the sound system for the church.
16. Make recommendations for changes to the liturgical space in conjunction with the pastor, finance or ACC councils, and any building commission, as needed.
17. Secure other musicians as needed for special celebrations (e.g., Christmas, Easter, Confirmation, etc.).
18. Collaborate with parish staff for parish functions.
19. Nurture his or her own faith in order to nurture the faith of others, as well as to live in a manner congruent to the moral teachings of the Catholic Church.
20. And any other duties as assigned by the pastor or business administrator.
1. Willingness to enter into the faith life of the community he/she serves and leads.
2. Prudent balance of enthusiasm and patience, and an ability to work in collaboration with others.
3. Bachelor's or master's degree in liturgy/music or its equivalent.
4. Musical leadership with required skills in the following areas: keyboard, voice and conducting, as well as contemporary instrumental ensembles, orchestration, children's choirs, composition and familiarity with musical styles of various cultures of the community.
5. Thorough understanding of Roman Catholic liturgical theology and praxis.
6. Knowledge of the history and repertoire of sacred music.
7. Willingness to keep informed of liturgical and pastoral developments and to participate in continuing education to maintain and further musical expertise.
8. Select and teach new music to the assembly.
9. Develop the musicianship of cantors and other musicians.
10. Nurture musicianship of the youth.
11. Serve as a resource to members of the parish, as well as persons involved in other parish ministries.
12. Provide liturgical guidance in sensitive pastoral situations (e.g., funeral preparation with families).
13. Lead and animate the sung prayer of the people of God.
14. Administer a multifaceted liturgy and music program.
15. Collaborate with other ministers of the parish.
16. Willingness to live in a manner congruent with Catholic moral teaching.
1. This position requires frequent evenings and/or weekend work and offers flexibility amid an unpredictable schedule.
2. Sedentary Duty: exerting up to 25 pounds of force occasionally or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects including the human body.
3. The following physical activities are required to perform this job: occasionally (up to 33% of work time) standing, walking, reaching, lifting; frequently (34-66% of work time) sitting, handling, fingering, talking, hearing, near acuity of vision. Also, the employee must be able to ascend and descend stairs.
4. Dress requirements: employee-provided casual business clothing outside of liturgies; employee-provided semi-formal to formal clothing for liturgies.
Paid staff positions in the Area Catholic Community of Mary, Mother of the Church are "employment at-will."
Wadena, MN 56482