DIOCESE OF GRAND RAPIDS
The Diocese of Grand Rapids is seeking a full-time Director of the Office for Catechesis who is dedicated to fostering the new evangelization paradigm of Encounter, Grow, Witness as found in the Diocese of Grand Rapids' Curriculum Framework for Catholic Schools and Parish Faith Formation Programs.
The director will develop and implement programs designed to meet the needs of parish faith formation ministers and provide a support system for pastors and parish staff. The director will have in-depth knowledge of the Catholic Church including familiarity with structure, function, and institutions. The director will have broad knowledge of physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual development throughout all stages of life.
POSITION TITLE: Director, Office for Catechesis
REPORTS TO: Director, Office of Pastoral Services
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: Administrative Assistant
HOURS & FLSA STATUS: 40 hours per week, exempt,
some evenings and weekends required
BROAD STATEMENT OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of the Office for Catechesis provides vision, training, resources, and services for the implementation of diocesan policies and guidelines related to catechesis in the parishes and is responsible for the formation and collaborative support of the parish and school leaders responsible for catechetics.
• Manage staff, providing direction and evaluation within personnel policy guidelines.
• Foster the new evangelization paradigm of Encounter, Grow, Witness as found in the Diocese of Grand Rapids' Curriculum Framework for Catholic Schools and Parish Faith Formation Programs.
• Develop and implement programs designed to meet the needs of parish faith formation ministers and provide a support system, including deanery meetings.
• Ensure the catechetical perspectives and concerns of other cultures and people are identified and integrated throughout the diocese, through collaboration with other diocesan offices.
• Provide consultation and support to pastors, parish staff and parish councils.
• Collaborate with the parishes to provide training and guidelines for age-appropriate and developmentally appropriate sacramental preparation.
• Assist and resource parishes in furthering the implementation of the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA).
• Maintain and develop resource materials pertinent to faith formation.
• Prepare and/or review catechetical curricula for the diocese; review and recommend catechetical textbooks to parishes and schools as needed.
• Network with inter/intra-diocesan entities (local, provincial, regional, national, and international) pertinent to catechetical ministry.
• Act as a diocesan liaison to regional, national, or other organizations and attend regional and national conferences and meetings when possible.
• Prepare and monitor the annual budget for the Office of Catechesis.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
• Practicing member of the Roman Catholic Church in good standing.
• Support the mission of the Catholic Church in the Diocese of Grand Rapids and the vision of Bishop Walkowiak.
• In-depth knowledge of the Catholic Church including familiarity with structure, function, and institutions.
• Advanced degree preferred, with emphasis on theology, catechetics, or pastoral ministry.
• Knowledgeable of the physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual development throughout the lifespan.
• Minimum of five years of experience in catechetical or formation ministry, preferably at the diocesan level.
• Must be willing to travel across all counties of the diocese. Michigan driver's license and reliable transportation required.
• Ability to successfully balance daily tasks, project management, and conduct long-range planning.
• Ability to think creatively about emerging needs, demands and opportunities.
• Demonstrated leadership and resourcefulness and a high degree of flexibility.
• Excellent management, supervisory, communication, and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to handle confidential information.
• Marketing skills knowledge including desktop publishing and social media.
• Energetic role model to inspire participation and enthusiasm.
If you are interested, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Grand Rapids, MI 49503