Purpose of this Ministry
The Youth Ministry Coordinator helps our parish provide comprehensive ministry to our high and middle school students as well as young adults. This individual serves as a spiritual leader to our youth and their families, empowering them to be engaged in the parish community. By calling upon and channeling the gifts and talents of parishioners toward the evangelization of our youth, the coordinator fosters deeper relationships with Jesus Christ and lifelong commitments to the Church as his body.
Reports to: Director of Faith Formation
Collaborates with: Parish Staff, Adult Parishioner and Youth Leadership Teams, Volunteers and the Greater Parish Community.
Status: Full-time Salary Exempt (40+ hours)
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
1. Develops safe ministerial relationships with adolescents and their families by being visible and available in the community and parish.
2. Develops ministerial networks to support and mentor youth ministry team leaders, adults and youth.
3. Plans, develops, coordinates and evaluates activities and programs, including weekly gatherings of high school students, retreats for middle and high school youth, annual summer trip(s) and other events. Regularly evaluates the effectiveness of these gatherings and makes adaptations for improvement in conjunction with both the adult and teen leadership teams.
4. Mentors a group of teen leaders and works with them to plan and evaluate programming.
5. Supports Middle School formation, Confirmation and other sacramental preparation as directed by the Faith Formation Director.
6. Models and gives witness to his/her personal faith.
7. Provides administration of youth ministry in terms of budgeting, communication, networking, record keeping and supervision.
8. Organizes and hosts all youth ministry fundraisers. Including but not limited to: setting fundraising goals, hosting pre-sales after Mass, counting monetary donations, and submitting fundraiser requests and summaries to the finance council.
9. Maintains and updates high school faith formation web pages on the St. Pius X website (www.spxcatholic.org).
1. Manifest a deep faith in Jesus Christ that is exemplified in the practice of the Roman Catholic faith, and moral character adhered to the values of the Gospel.
2. Experience in youth ministry under the model of "Renewing the Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry" by the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops.
3. Understands the principles of psychology and sociology, most especially those pertaining to adolescence and family development.
4. Appropriate certification and clear criminal background checks required.
5. Openness and availability to work evenings and weekends.
6. Bachelor's Degree in theology or other related field.
7. Ongoing personal and professional development is required and is competency based.
Skills and Abilities
1. Intuitively incorporates sound Roman Catholic principles when teaching and interacting with parishioners. Familiar with the vision of the "new evangelization" articulated by Pope Francis and his successors.
2. Proven abilities in pastoral leadership, demonstrated through the ability to
b. call people to prayer
c. effectively lead meetings
d. establish and align goals, and engage others in the enactment of a vision
e. identify talents and delegate.
3. Strong organizational skills, especially event planning and time management.
4. Respects personal boundaries and maintains confidentiality.
5. Strong technology and social media management skills to be used in a ministerial capacity. Proficient in social media platforms, Microsoft Office Suites, and Google Suites:
c. Canva (or other graphic design software)