Job Title: Coordinator of Youth and Young Adult Ministry
Supervisor: Pastor/Director of Parish Life
Employment Status: Part-Time 2 (19 hours per week), Hourly, Non-Exempt
I. GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The Coordinator of Youth and Young Adult Ministry carries out evangelization by providing vision and coordination for the parish's efforts in ministry to youth and young adults. This includes middle school, high school, and young adult sessions (weekly or bi-weekly gatherings), as well as monthly activities, fostering a deep, personal relationship with the Lord.
The parish youth and young adult ministry program integrates catechesis into a comprehensive ministry to, with, by, and for young people.
II. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Facilitating a Youth Leadership Team, which is responsible for
planning, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive youth
• Coordinating the recruitment, training, support, and evaluation of
volunteers in the youth and young adult ministry program
• Developing a systematic plan for adolescent catechesis that
utilizes a creative variety of formats, settings, and timeframes
• Developing a systemic plan for young adult outreach and
• Providing resources (print, video, diocesan events) for effective
• Providing appropriate training for the adults and young people
in leadership positions
• Fostering the involvement of young people in the life of the parish, including serving on various parish committees and being involved in parish activities
• Coordinating the outreach to and evangelization of all young people in the parish
• Providing appropriate services and programs for parents of adolescents
• Serving as the liaison with the diocesan office of youth and young adult ministry and their programs services and resources
• Attend regular staff meetings and participate in staff planning
• Communicate to the pastor and staff about youth and young adult ministry activities
• Seek the pastor's and staff's input in planning youth and young adult ministry activities.
• Be a resource person to staff on issues related to young people and ministry.
• Attend pastoral council meetings, and committee meetings and furnish them with reports as needed.
III. ACCOUNTABILITY & COLLABORATIVE RELATIONSHIPS
• The Coordinator of Youth and Young Adult Ministry reports directly to and is evaluated by the Pastor/Director of Parish Life
• The Coordinator of Youth and Young Adult Ministry should maintain a close relationship with the parish staff and seek their input as needed.
• Maintain an open relationship with the diocesan offices and keep current with diocesan policies.
IV. WORKING CONDITIONS
• This position will require working various hours including weekends and evenings. Occasional travel and overnight stays may be required.
• Work is performed primarily in the church, classroom, and office setting.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, reach, sit, hear, and use repetitive motion of the hands/wrists and feet. The employee may be required to lift up to 50 lbs. The employee should also be able to ascend and descend more than 20 stairs.
• Valid driver's license required.
V. QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• The ideal candidate is an energetic person of faith with a deep love of Jesus Christ and the Catholic Church, who is able to connect with young people and form them in discipleship. Certification as a Youth/Young Adult Minister and three years of experience in youth ministry desired. Commitment to take part in ongoing formation conducted by the diocese, by approved online classes, or in some other way is required.
• Ability to keep up with the dynamic pace of working with young people.
• Ability to create boundaries and maintain confidentiality.
• Must be a practicing Catholic in good standing.
• Proficient in using general office equipment and computers including the use of email and Google/Office products.
• Understand and implement parish and diocesan guidelines concerning safe environment and strict adherence to the parish safe environment program.
• Attend the Diocese of Saginaw Safe Environment Training for new hire employees within the first 30 days of hire
• Successful completion of criminal background check, pre-employment physical and drug screening