Title: Director of Music Ministry
Supervisor: Pastor/Director of Parish Life
Employment Status: Part-time 2 (10-12 hours per week), Hourly, Non-Exempt
I. General Description
Coordinate the planning, implementation, and administration of a comprehensive music ministry for the Saint Vincent de Paul parish community that supports the gospel message and encourages "full, active, and conscious participation" for parish liturgies.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop a music ministry plan in collaboration with the pastor-DPL, worship committee, and parish staff.
• Coordinate the staffing of all parish liturgies with competent musicians and vocalists.
• Recruit, train, and sustain quality cantors and psalmists for the parish liturgies.
• Provide support to all parish staff members, accompanists, and volunteers involved in the area of music ministry.
• Develop effective musical leadership within the parish.
• Attain, use, maintain and report copyright permission for music.
• Provide sheet music to the congregation with books, worship aids, and digital products as required.
• Formulate and adhere to an annual music ministry budget.
• Other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
III. Accountability and Collaborative Relationships
• The Director of Music Ministry reports to and is evaluated by the Pastor/Director of Parish Life.
• The Director of Music Ministry should maintain a collaborative relationship with parish staff, accompanists, and music volunteers.
• Maintain an open relationship with the Diocesan office of Liturgy and keep current with music trends and directives.
IV. Working Conditions
• This position will require working various hours including weekends, days and evenings, and holidays.
• Work is performed primarily in the church and office setting.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, reach, sit, hear and use repetitive motion of the hands/wrists and feet. Employee may be required to lift up to 50 pounds. The employee should also be able to ascend and descend more than 20 stairs.
• Valid driver's license is required.
V. Qualifications and Skills
• Bachelor's degree in church music, music education, music performance, or equivalent experience.
• Background in Catholic liturgical music.
• Proficient in piano/organ, or guitar.
• Experience in choral conducting. Experience teaching vocalists/instrumentalists preferred.
• Must be a practicing Catholic in good standing.
• Proficient in using general office equipment and computers including the use of email and Google/Office products.
• Attend the Diocese of Saginaw Safe Environment Training for new hire employees within the first 30 days of hire
• Successful completion of criminal background check, pre-employment physical and drug screening