The Director of Communications supports the Office of the Bishop in communicating key messages to internal and external audiences. The Director is responsible for the development and implementation of a comprehensive and innovative communication program that increases the awareness of the vision and mission of the diocese and its bishop. This position supports and assists the diocese in promoting awareness of the vision and mission through a network of communicators and use of communication media tools.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supports the Bishop and other offices in communicating key messages to internal and external audiences.
• Coordinates with the bishop's office to handle crisis communications.
• Oversees media relations for the diocese.
• Ensures that key messages are communicated using the most ideal channels including: website and social media; print content (i.e., FAITH magazine, news stories, press releases, and blogs).
• Ensures that the Mass is accessible to the homebound through television access and livestreaming.
• Serves as a communications resource for clergy and parish staff; oversees diocesan guidelines on communication practices in parishes.
• Evaluates the success of communications efforts and regularly provides reports to the bishop.
• Develops an annual operating plan and budget to support the plan; lead and participate in the duties necessary to carry out the plan.
• Establishes and maintains the books and records for the Office of Communications. Utilizes this information to prepare and report results, both internally and externally.
• Prepares and maintains policies and procedures for the Office of Communications to adhere to applicable civil and canon law.
• Develops and maintains communications channels (i.e., electronic newsletter, video production, and livestreaming capabilities).
• Develops and maintains an annual editorial calendar.
• Maintains a rotation calendar for the recording/editing the televised Mass from the Cathedral.
• Serves in rotation for recording/editing the televised Mass from the Cathedral on an as needed basis.
• Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, or related field.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• Skilled in writing/editing, photography, audio/video, multimedia.
• Proficient in the use of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
• Enthusiastic, proactive, and innovative approach to identifying internal external communication opportunities and coordinating resources to meet those needs.
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge/skills using Microsoft Office, graphic design software, website applications including Adobe Creative Suite and InDesign.
• Certified, or obtains certificate, in Final Cut Pro editing software.
• Ability to work with social media and web analytic tools (Facebook Insights, and Google Analytics) a plus.
• Strong public relations and advocacy skills.
• Ability to produce clear, concise copy with high levels of proofreading and editing skills.
• Reliable transportation, a valid driver's license, and proof of current auto insurance.
To apply please go to www.dioceseofgaylord.org/job-opportunities.