Director of Liturgical Music
A Vision of this Ministry
The Director of Liturgical Music is someone who holds credentials in music and has understanding of Roman Catholic liturgy. This person of faith is responsible for the planning, coordination, and execution of music within the liturgical celebrations of the parish especially the Sunday liturgies and other major feasts and solemnities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Liturgical Music:
1. Collaborates with the Pastor, under his supervision, and with other members of the parish staff especially the Liturgy Committee, integrating his or her own area of responsibility with the overall parish endeavor.
2. Directs the parish music program, selects and plans music for use in parish liturgies.
3. Provides leadership in areas related to liturgical music, e.g., selects and develops participation aids for the congregation, coordinates services, assures copyright permission, etc.
4. Provides music and cantors for all Sunday and other major celebrations.
5. Builds repertoire and encourages participation of parish community in singing at various liturgies.
6. Invites, motivates, and trains all parish ministers of music (whether volunteer, stipend, or salaried).
7. Provides liturgical formation, music education, and practical preparation for liturgical celebration for cantors/leaders of song, and the seasonal choir.
Competencies and Skills
1. Is knowledgeable of and comfortable with Church music literature in all forms and styles for the congregation, choirs (adult, teen, and children), and cantors
2. Is proficient in liturgical principles.
3. Has a thorough understanding of the musical, liturgical, and pastoral judgments, which must be made in selecting music for liturgy.
4. Must be able to play the organ, and/or the piano.
5. Is proficient in directing a choir.
6. Keeps abreast of current developments in liturgy and in music through workshops and other formational opportunities.
• Part-time, 20 to 25 hours a week with flexible hours which might include some evenings and weekend work.
• Main tasks includes planning and providing music for all the Sunday masses and other major celebrations (like Christmas, Easter Triduum among others), organizing and rehearsing a parish choir, and training possible cantors.
• Providing music for weddings and funerals will be an added benefit.
Please submit credentials to apply to [email protected]