POSITION TITLE: Coordinator of High School Youth Ministry (High School Youth Minister/HSYM)
LOCATION: Saint Mary of the Nativity Parish Scituate, Massachusetts
DEPARTMENT: Faith Formation/Youth Ministry
REPORTS TO: Pastor
FULL-TIME OR PART-TIME: Full-Time, Benefits Eligible, Salary Position
SUMMARY: The ideal candidate will be a joyful, active, prayerful disciple of Jesus Christ who can provide vision and coordination for the parish's efforts to run an effective youth ministry program for high school aged students. The HSYM must enjoy working with and being around people of all ages, while giving our teens the tools necessary to become themselves, joyful, active, prayerful disciples of Jesus Christ and faithful members of His Church. The HSYM will plan, organize, and run high school youth nights, outings, field trips, service opportunities, and a yearly mission trip.
• Attend and participate in monthly full staff meetings and planning meetings, days of recollection, and staff retreats
• Attend and participate in regular meetings with Pastor and other faith formation/youth ministry staff
• Communicate to staff about high school youth ministry activities
• Seek staff input in planning high school youth ministry activities
• Be a resource person to parish staff on issues related to high school youth ministry
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following
(But are not limited to)
**Faithful, practicing Catholic (Weekly Sunday Mass and monthly confession minimum) **
• Work in collaboration with the Confirmation Coordinator regarding all schedules, programming, and events.
• Work in collaboration with the Confirmation Coordinator to provide outreach to and evangelization of all high school students and their families in the parish.
• Participate actively in the Confirmation program as scheduling allows.
• Create a youth leadership team made up of both teen leaders and adult volunteers, which is responsible for assisting in the planning, implementing, and evaluating a comprehensive high school youth ministry program.
• Coordinate the recruitment, training, supporting, and evaluating of volunteers in the high school youth ministry program both adult and teen. Provide appropriate Archdiocesan resources and/or training for all volunteers in high school youth ministry.
• Develop a systematic and intentional plan for catechetical youth ministry that utilizes a creative variety of existing youth ministry formats (such as Life Teen and others).
• Plan, organize, implement, and attend all on-site and off-site programs, events, and trips for high school students.
• Provide opportunities for parents of teens to participate in programming and deepen their own faith.
• Provide resources (print, video, web, social media, diocesan events) for effective programming.
• Foster the involvement of teens in the life of the parish before and after confirmation, inviting teens to be involved in parish activities and in the Liturgical life of the parish.
• Providing appropriate updates for parents (newsletters, updates, informational meetings/orientations etc.)
• Stay up to date with opportunities for personal and program growth through the Archdiocesan office of Evangelization.
Qualifications to perform the job successfully:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability or physical demands required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Education and/or Experience:
B.A. in Theology, Pastoral/Youth Ministry, or related field is a plus. Significant knowledge of and faithfulness to the teachings of the Catholic Church are required. Any applicant with at least 5+ years of Youth Ministry Experience, with references, will be given consideration regardless of degree.
Strong verbal and written communication skills; proficiency in composing reports, correspondence, and letters and in publishing e-newsletters and flyers in English, ability to develop and facilitate youth programs; ability to read and understand church documents and guidelines.
Ability to solve problems, make sound decisions, and deal with a variety of concrete variables.
Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Microsoft Office. Social Media knowledge a plus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee must be able to transport materials and equipment (up to 30 pounds) to and from various locations. The employee is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, use hands in repetitive motion tasks, handle objects, talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. The employee must also have a valid driver's license.
The employee will work within the Parish Center of Saint Mary of the Nativity Parish. The employee will also work at off-site locations for various ministry events, supervising and directing those events.
The employee is required to be physically present in the office in order to complete office tasks, be available to work outside of regular business hours as required and provide updates to the online staff calendar. Financial needs for programming are to be done through the Business Manager and Pastor. The employee must be able to work cooperatively and joyfully with other members of the staff and with youth leaders and volunteers. The employee must be able to multitask.
Knowledge of Church structure and culture. The employee must have knowledge of current youth culture and current trends and issues within those cultures. Requires the ability to maintain confidentiality.
The Pastor and employee will review this position description at the time of hire and at each evaluation (2 per year).
Resumes with cover letter can be sent to [email protected]
Scituate, MA 02066