St. Mary's High school is hiring for a full-time English teacher position. This individual will be responsible for teaching students the fundamentals of writing, reading, and speaking in the English language. They will also be expected to help their students develop critical thinking skills by introducing them to classic literature through "The Great Books" and other texts that require careful analysis.
The English teacher typically will have a lot of freedom when it comes to planning their lessons. However, they must still adhere to certain standards set by St. Mary's High School. Within the standards of St. Mary's High School, the teacher will be privileged to plan lessons according to their individual style and character.
St. Mary's High School Mission Statement
St. Mary's High School is a Roman Catholic educational community serving students from grades 9-12. We strive to develop spiritual growth, academic success, character, and integrity in all students. Guided by the Gospel of Jesus Christ and supported by families, we provide a quality Catholic education where students are challenged to reach their highest potential and are inspired to embrace a life of service to God and neighbor.
English Teacher Job Duties
St. Mary's High School English teachers typically have a wide range of responsibilities, which can include:
• Meeting with parents, staff members, and other community members to discuss student progress or discipline issues
• Creating lesson plans for each class period based on content, methodology, and objectives
• Evaluating student work and providing detailed feedback in order to improve writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, and syntax skills
• Preparing materials and setting up classrooms before class begins
• Helping students develop their reading comprehension skills through various activities
• Conducting one-on-one sessions with students to help them improve their writing skills as needed
• Creating assessments that measure the reading and writing skills of students to determine their level of proficiency in various categories such as comprehension, grammar, spelling, mechanics, and organization
• Assisting students in developing their writing skills by providing feedback on drafts of essays, stories, and research papers
• Developing essential questions based on critical thinking concepts and Socratic principles or students based on the readings assigned both in school and at home
• St. Mary's High School believes in the strength and impact of a community. Teachers play a pivotal role in fostering good relationships with students and families, helping students to create life-lasting connections that propel them into spiritual, academic, and personal success.
Instead of a traditional cover letter, please write to us explaining how your role as an English teacher serves the school's mission of Catholic evangelization.