The mission of the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. In the faithful pursuit of this mission, the Archdiocese is seeking an Assistant Secretary for Pastoral Ministry and Social Concerns.
The Assistant Secretary for Pastoral Ministry assists the Secretary of Pastoral Ministry and Social Concerns in the implementation of all archdiocesan initiatives focused on discipleship. The Assistant Secretary will supervise the discipleship work team in PMSC, which includes the Offices of Campus Ministry and Young Adults, Family Life, and CYO Inc.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Supervise and mentor Coordinator of the Office of Young Adult and Campus Ministry, Director of Office of Family Life, and President, CYO Inc. 50%
o Coordinate twice-monthly Discipleship Team (direct reports) collaborative planning meetings.
o Conduct weekly one on one supervisory meetings (direct reports) and check in as necessary
o Review and approve ADW graphic design project sheets for outward facing communications
o Review and edit all chancery memos from offices regarding new or ongoing projects
o Approve CHRIS payroll and leave requests
• Serve as a member of the Parish Consultation Support Team with Assistant Secretary for Life Dignity and Justice, Coordinator of Evangelization, and Secretary to support pastors in the call for evangelization and parish planning. 20%
o Develop a vision and plan with the Secretary and other Assistant Secretary on how to support parishes in their mission of evangelization, including assisting with the work of the Office of Evangelization
o Assist in parish consultation (formation of parish pastoral councils, liaison program with new pastors, etc.) as assigned
• Assist the Secretary with the archdiocesan response to Papal initiatives and archdiocesan pastoral letters and Initiatives and other duties as assigned. 15%
• Assist direct reports with the creation and management of the budgets for the Young Adult and Campus Ministry and Family Life. 10%
o Work collaboratively with the Assistant Secretary Life Dignity and Justice in fiscal questions, budgets and finance management and concerns
o Review monthly reports with direct reports, end of year fiscal reports etc. received from Assistant Secretary Life Dignity and Justice, with direct reports
o Review and approve budget expenditures and reimbursement requests
• Serve as liaison to Catholic Youth Organization of the Greater Metropolitan Area (CYO Inc.) which oversees Youth Ministry, Catholic Scouting, and CYO Sports. 5%
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Practicing Roman Catholic in good standing with thorough knowledge and understanding of the faith that informs everyday life and work in the office
• Experience in managing multiple priorities
• Strong writing skills and communication skills
• Candidate must be highly motivated and a real self-starter, who has the ability and motivation (passion) to work as part of a team
Experience and Education
• Master's degree in pastoral studies, theology, religious education or related field
• Experience in Pastoral Ministry, Religious Education, related field or comparable work experience in a parish (minimum 3 years)
• Experience providing supervision and office management (minimum 3 years)
• Experience with Microsoft Office tools, Facebook and other social networking and internet technologies
• Experience working well with a variety of professional colleagues, including senior leadership, clergy, lay ministers, employees at differing levels, and parishioners.
• This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
• Regular full-time employee (40 hours/week)
• Some evening and weekend hours to be expected
• This position may require occasional travel to meetings and facilities within the Archdiocese of Washington.
• Reliable transportation required