SUMMARY OF POSITION
The National Shrine of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton exists to promote the life and legacy of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton as a source of inspiration and encouragement for all people. The Information Desk supports this mission by being the first welcoming face that visitors encounter. They orient both new and repeat visitors to the space and help them craft an experience that is particularly meaningful for each visitor.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Cultivate an easy and welcoming atmosphere for visitors.
• Always remain at the Information Desk to ensure that the visitors have a warm and friendly welcome immediately upon entering the Visitor Center. (Coverage can be provided as needed.)
• Keep a clean, simplistic, and streamlined front desk.
• Be prepared with both information and materials to offer the visitors about upcoming programs and events, tailoring that information to each interaction.
• Answer the phone at all times and speak with efficiency and confidence regarding Shrine programs, events, ticketing systems etc.
• Navigate the computer with ease, often times multi-tasking and using multiple windows.
• Put out and take down the "Welcome flag" each day.
• Maintain an awareness of your surroundings and address concerns regarding cleanliness, aesthetic, and flow of visitors in a timely manner.
Monitor and look to prevent potential safety concerns
• Know the safety procedures established by the Shrine and the Campus and be conversant in the ways that the Information Desk helps to manage a variety of emergency situations.
• Be vigilant in looking for any potential hazards or negative aspects to the visitor experience such as slippery floors, items not returned to proper place, safety hazards etc.
• Always keep a radio on and turned up at the Information Desk.
• Kindly inform and enforce the no food and drink policy in the exhibit galleries.
• Monitor weather conditions daily and alert management as needed.
Foster communication between staff and visitors.
• Represent the voice of the visitor at occasional team meetings.
• Ensure clear and helpful daily communication with all public-facing staff.
• Make announcements to visitors both on the overhead system and in large groups.
• Assist the Visitor Services Coordinator and Interpreters with ensuring that large groups move from location to location with ease.
• Monitor the Shrine's website and social media pages regularly to gain ongoing familiarity with the online presence of the Shrine. Alert marketing staff when there may be pages down or of misinformation.
Ensure accurate reporting regarding ticket sales and visitor counts.
• Maintain thorough records regarding all ticket sales; particularly regarding opening and closing of the Information Desk's cash drawer in a professional manner.
• Confirm accurate visitor counting each day and enter those numbers into the computer system: Altru.
• Assist Visitor Services Coordinator with various projects regarding groups' records and payments.
Perform other related duties as assigned.
• A warm, dynamic personality with an inviting presence that comes through both in person and over the phone.
• Attentive to essential details, even in a fast-paced environment.
• Punctual, arriving on time, and reliable in attendance.
• Able to maintain a peaceful and professional demeanor in stressful situations and with a variety of personalities.
• Computer experience, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet, and Outlook.
• A person of integrity, maintaining discretion and confidentiality when necessary.
• Annual CPR/AED/First Aid training required (provided).
DESIRED SKILLS and KNOWLEDGE
• Background in hospitality and/or customer service preferred.
• Familiarity with the teaching and popular devotions of the Catholic Church preferred.
• Experience with Blackbaud's Altru online software preferred.
• Fluency in Spanish preferred.
• Physically able to sit, stand, or walk for one hour without sitting and move/lift up to 35 lbs.
• Strong speaking voice.
• Physically able to sit, stand, and/or walk for periods of 90+ minutes.
• Able to climb stairs.
20-30 hours/week, with one weekend day per week required.
Emmitsburg, MD 21727