The mission of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. In the faithful pursuit of that mission, the archdiocese is seeking a Director for the Office for Evangelization and Pastoral Planning.
The Director for the Office for Evangelization and Pastoral Planning in the Secretariat for Pastoral Ministry and Social Concerns assists the Secretary of Pastoral Ministry and Social Concerns in the implementation of all archdiocesan initiatives focused on evangelization, synodality and pastoral planning. The director's primary focus will be implementing the Cardinal's vision for evangelization and pastoral/strategic planning by engaging and partnering pastors, deaneries, and parishes. The position includes assisting in developing a cohesive message of evangelization and pastoral planning, mindful of the particular demographic and cultural diversity within the Archdiocese of Washington.
The successful candidate will be a faith filled Catholic, capable of articulating the Gospel in a relevant and compelling manner through words and witness. They will be academically prepared by at least having obtained a master's degree in theology. They will also have had a minimum of five years' experience successfully working in the field of evangelization and leadership at the parish and diocesan level. Key leadership skills include an ability to motivate, problem solve, work collaboratively with various communities, and strategize using a team approach to ministry.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Support pastors in their evangelization efforts, and development and implementation of archdiocesan evangelization initiatives for parishes. 40%
o Supporting parishes' evangelization efforts includes creating and curating resources for parishes, providing leader formation in the area of evangelization, synodality and missionary discipleship, communicating the Archbishop's vision for evangelization
o Planning, executing, following-up on, and assessing the Parish Evangelization Grant Program.
o Planning, executing, and assessing major archdiocesan initiatives focused on evangelization
• Support pastors in their parish planning efforts using the archdiocesan synod pastoral planning tools. 40%
o Coordinate with Secretary and parish consultation support team to assist pastors in the call for parish planning based on the synod
o Communicating with pastors, deans and parish leaders about resources and support in creating long term pastoral plans for healthy, vibrant parishes
o Work collaboratively with pastors and parish leaders to plan, execute, and host parish workshops and presentations on parish pastoral planning
o Assist as needed the Chairman of the Council of Deans in preparing deanery meetings on pastoral planning and synod implementation.
• Serve as a member of the Parish Consultation Support Team with Assistant Secretary for Discipleship, Assistant Secretary for Life, Dignity and Justice, and Secretary to support pastors in the call for evangelization and parish planning. 15%
o Assist in parish consultation (formation of parish pastoral councils, liaison program with new pastors, etc.) as assigned
o Assist Secretary with the work of the Archdiocesan Pastoral Council (meeting agendas; meeting minutes; communications with members, etc.)
o Attendance and participation in weekly PMSC team directors' meetings and all staff meetings.
• Oversee fiscal management and administration of office 5%
o Work collaboratively with finance office regarding the distribution of parish evangelization grants.
o Approve Workplace requests.
Experience and Education
• Master's degree in pastoral studies, theology, religious education, or related field
• Experience in Pastoral Ministry, Religious Education, related field, or comparable work experience in a parish (minimum 5 years)
• Experience providing supervision and office management (minimum 3 years)
• Practicing Catholic in good standing with thorough knowledge and understanding of the faith that informs everyday life and work in the office
• Experience in managing multiple priorities
• Strong writing skills and communication skills
• Experience with Microsoft Office tools, Facebook and other social networking and internet technologies
• Candidate must be highly motivated and a real self-starter, who has the ability and motivation (passion) to work as part of a team
• Experience working well with a wide variety of people
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
• A full-time benefits-eligible position
Hyattsville, MD 20782