Position Summary: The primary responsibility of the Sacrament Preparation Coordinator is assisting the Director of Faith Formation in preparing the youth of St. Mary's Parish and Schools for the sacraments of First Reconciliation and First Eucharist (usually 2nd Grade) and Confirmation (usually grades 9-10). This is a full-time, 40 hours per week, 12-month exempt position. Candidate must be able to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends.
The Coordinator will be directly accountable to the Director of Faith Formation. The Director will serve as the Coordinator's immediate supervisor. The Coordinator will be responsible for keeping the Director informed of all activities that fall under this job description, and work with the Director in making decisions involving these areas of catechesis and ministry.
Sacramental Formation: Prepare children and their parents for reception of the sacraments, insuring that such preparation encourages a lifelong commitment to growing in relationship with Jesus Christ.
• With the Director of Faith Formation, coordinate all aspects of the sacramental preparation including, but not limited to, planning and conducting lessons, facilitating parent sessions, planning and conducting retreats, and scheduling liturgies.
• With the assistance of the Administrative Assistant, track all necessary documents, including copies of Baptism certificates, registration forms, sponsor forms and certificates, service forms and Confirmation name forms and coordinate any supplies needed.
• With the Youth Minister, plan and coordinate retreats and pilgrimages. Help with youth events may be requested if needed.
• Communicate with all sacrament parents through newsletters, emails, phone calls and in person meeting.
• The Coordinator will commit to follow Archdiocesan policies and attend Archdiocesan meetings when necessary.
Leadership Development: Help recruit, encourage, lead and mentor a team of volunteer mentors/catechists/small group leaders who will accompany youth and their parents during the preparation process.
• Must be a confirmed and practicing Catholic able to participate fully in the Sacramental life of the Church.
• Bachelor's degree, required.
• Parish experience working/volunteering in religious education, family ministry, and/or youth ministry is desired.
• Due to the primary duties, experience working/volunteering in sacrament preparation for high school-aged Confirmation is required.
• A passion for the Catholic faith, and the ability to accompany youth and their families in developing and maintaining a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
• Ability to recruit, manage and coordinate teams of volunteers/catechists.
• Strong desire to be part of a faith formation team and work collaboratively with others.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Suite applications as well as virtual platforms (e.g. Zoom).