The mission of the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. The archdiocese is seeking a Legal Administrative Assistant to participate in the faithful pursuit of this mission. The Legal Administrative Assistant will assist the Office of the General Counsel.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage all administrative functions and daily workflow in the Office of the General Counsel, ensuring that all activities and tasks are completed accurately and efficiently.
• Exercise independent judgment and discretion in performing administrative tasks, including developing and maintaining working files; monitoring and tracking the work of staff; maintaining client record-keeping system for the Office; processing bills; scheduling meetings, conference calls, and conferences; and communicating with clients and outside counsel.
• Track and file a high volume of correspondence/documents.
• Collaborate with ADW departments, parishes, schools, ministries and the public in assisting the ADW legal staff in responding to a wide variety of legal matters
• Assist with litigation matters and responding to subpoenas and document requests, preparing pleadings in court cases, monitoring deadlines, and maintaining case files
• Assist with contract reviews and facilities usage inquiries, including by tracking progress, obtaining necessary documentation, and responding to status inquiries
• Assist with Official Catholic Directory inquiries and processing of applications for inclusion
• Assist with corporate governance matters, including matters related to the ADW and affiliated corporations and corporate compliance paperwork submitted to governmental entities on behalf of the ADW and affiliated entities
• Assist with immigration matters, including communicating with ADW staff, religious, and outside counsel regarding immigration petitions and visa issues
• Assist with the Office of the General Counsel's compliance with the ADW Records Retention Policy
• Assist Office of the General Counsel and public policy staff on public policy matters
• Responding to other questions and inquiries that come to the Office of General Counsel, while exercising discretion in responding to procedural questions and referring legal questions to an attorney; exercising discretion regarding which calls and inquires to the Office of General Counsel require attention by a lawyer and prioritizing which inquiries require immediate attention
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Practicing Catholic who supports the teachings of the Church
• Multitasking abilities
• Able to exercise discretion with confidential information and documents
• Experience in working with high levels of correspondence and documentation.
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor's degree is preferred, but not required.
• Two or more years of experience in a higher level office administrative position as an administrative assistant, legal assistant, and/or executive secretary preferred (legal experience preferred).
• Advanced level of proficiency in Microsoft Office.
• Excellent writing and communication skills.
• Strong ability to learn new software
• This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
• Regular full-time employee (40 hours/week)