St. Ann Catholic Church
Job Title: Director of Music and Liturgy
Report to: Pastor
Position Type: Salaried Exempt
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Plays music for all liturgical celebrations including weddings, funerals and All School Masses as requested.
• Trains and directs cantors, adult and youth choirs and instrumental ensembles.
• Engages with parishioners and recruits for choirs, cantors and other music ministries.
• Prepares liturgies and rehearses with cantors, choirs and school students as necessary.
• Maintains and develops music skills including organ, piano and singing.
• Develops and monitors music and liturgical budgets.
• Works with sacrament, RCIA and Art & Environment coordinators to prepare special liturgies as required.
• Assists pastor and families in planning funeral liturgies
• Creates materials needed for Mass including Prayers of the Faithful, liturgical guides and other materials as required.
• Ensures compliance with music copyrights and maintains music library.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Must have a high degree of proficiency in playing the organ, piano and singing
• Should have working knowledge of other instruments which may be used.
• Must have demonstrable experience and skill as an effective choir director
• Must have strong interpersonal skills and work well with both adults and children
• Must have knowledge and appreciation of the Church's liturgical tradition and well as current liturgical practices
• Must create a warm and inviting liturgical atmosphere
• Must have a good knowledge of quality music repertoire available for adult and child choirs, congregational singing and organ and piano instrumentals.
• Must have strong knowledge of Catholic practices and General Instructions of the Roman Missal (GIRM)
• Regular weekend and evening work required
• In addition to the regular parish liturgical celebrations, this position will be required to provide music during Holy Week, sacramental celebrations, weddings and funerals as requested by the pastor.
Other Duties as Assigned
• This job description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills and knowledge associated with this job function. It is intended to be an accurate reflection of the principal elements of the position but there may have other duties as assigned by the pastor.