Position Title: Parish Administrator
Department: Parish Operations
Supervisor: Pastor of St. Pius X Parish
The Parish Administrator is a full-time position that involves manager-level responsibilities that include but are not limited to supervision of the general office, financial activities, and facilities of the St. Pius X Parish. The Parish Administrator will provide day-to-day supervision of financial support services including accounts payable, payroll processing, deposits, and maintenance of parishioner tithing records.
The Parish Administrator will coordinate office staff and volunteers and manage the Parish's schedule of events.
The Parish Administrator will also provide assistance and coordination to/with the other parish department leads (e.g., Liturgy, Faith Formation, Social Justice, Stewardship and Youth Ministry) related to the above responsibilities.
The Parish Administrator will work directly with the Pastor to develop and implement the plan for Parish communication and outreach to parishioners and the public with respect to the financial and facilities aspects of the Parish.
The successful candidate will have familiarity and competence with current technology. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to the Catholic faith and mission, along with a desire to work in a positive, faith-oriented environment.
This position is eligible for Parish and Archdiocesan benefits.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
• Significant leadership and management experience in a business, not-for-profit/charity or similarly complex organization and have been successful in achieving mission-driven goals and objectives including:
o Project management experience
o Facilities management experience
o Technology management experience
• Experience in coordinating and working with volunteers, in leading, coaching, and mentoring staff, in managing budgets and operations and in creating and working in partnerships.
• Optimistic by nature, sees possibilities in challenge, invites others' ideas and perspectives and identifies and fosters people's strengths.
Skills & Abilities:
• Committed to worship, to grow, to serve, to connect and to give.
• Strong leadership and maturity to relate to various situations and individuals at various levels.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong financial management and monthly financial reporting skills.
• Ability to engage and involve others.
• Ability to keep information confidential in delicate and/or crisis situations.
• Ability to work cooperatively with others.
Strategic and Operational Planning
• Develops and co-leads the process for strategic planning with the Pastor, the Staff, and the Pastoral Council and actively participates in the development and renewal of the Parish's strategic plan
• Leads the translation of the strategic plan into operational plans to achieve the vision, mission and strategic objectives of the Parish and provides oversight and monitors progress of the implementation of these plans.
• Continually seeks and pursues new opportunities to fulfill the Parish vision, mission, and strategic objectives.
• Monitors and reports on the progress of the strategic and operational plans and recommends changes and adjustments as appropriate.
• Supervises and works with the accountant/bookkeeper (and other staff) for the following functions:
o Weekly counting of all receipts especially weekly collections
o Recording of deposits and maintenance of the parishioner giving data base and (semi-) annual reporting to parishioners of individual giving
o Maintenance of the trial balance and preparation of Financial Statements (Balance Sheet and Income Statement) on monthly basis
o Reconciliation of the bank statements
o Accounts payable: review of and presentation of all bills to the accountant/bookkeeper and maintenance of accounts payable records
o Coordination of payroll information
o Preparation of the Archdiocesan Financial Report
• Acts as contact with bank and all other vendors doing business with the Parish.
• Ensures and supports in developing and implementing operational plans and programs that support and advance the Parish vision and mission.
o Facilitate recruiting and hiring process for all lay positions.
o Salary and benefit administration.
o Contract and salary negotiations with Pastor, Pastoral & Finance Council and/or individuals.
o Internal staff conflict/dismissal issues.
o Provides insight and oversight to Parish programs, through the Leads, continually reviewing, renewing, and introducing programs that advance the Parish vision and mission.
o Serve as Local Safe Environment Coordinator by gathering, maintaining employee and volunteer Virtus documentation, including initial applications, background criminal checks, staff & volunteer orientation sessions, and related duties as needed.
• Reports on the progress of the Parish's operations, ministries and programs to the Pastoral and Finance Councils, the Archdiocese, and the Parish community as appropriate.
Administration of Buildings and Grounds
• Supervise maintenance and custodial staff.
• Oversee or perform the following:
o Rental of facilities, including compliance with archdiocesan insurance requirements
o Facility and equipment preventative maintenance schedules
o Information Technology hardware, software, training, internet, telephone
o Projects for repairs, renovations, and improvements of facilities.
o Contracts for timely, scheduled maintenance facility insurance policies and issues.
o Acquisitions of new equipment and furnishings.
o Long-range facility planning.
o Buildings and grounds committee liaison.
o Submits insurance claims and incident reports; follows up when necessary.
Communications and Development
o Website: Oversee or perform work with respect to keeping the website current and effective in communicating information to the parishioners and the larger community
o Oversee or perform the following:
o Bulletin service provider or in-house advertising contact.
o Master file of pastoral and finance council minutes.
o Parish promotional materials, advertising, etc.
• Develop plans for expansion of the Legacy Society and coordinate with the Catholic Foundation of the Archdiocese of Dubuque (CFAD) in presenting programs to explain deferred and planned giving and increase membership in the Legacy Society.
• Coordinate parish involvement in Archdiocesan and Xavier Catholic Schools appeals as well as other appeals.
• Coordinates unique parish events, in conjunction with the Pastor, parishioner suggestions, requests for use of property, bequests, etc.
Pastor and Governance Support
• Meets regularly with the Pastor and provides support, insight, and advice to the Pastor on issues related to operationalizing the Parish mission and management of the Parish.
• Provides information and insight to support the Pastoral and Finance Councils in fulfilling their advisory and oversight responsibilities and attends their meetings as an ex officio member.
• Fosters and maintains effective relationships with the Archdiocesan office and ensures that the parish meets its accountabilities as part of the Archdiocese.
• Detail and accuracy mindset, good organization and documentation skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality concerning financial, personnel and contributors' information and files.
• Parish Data Systems software proficiency a plus.
• Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and Google Office Suite (Gmail & Google docs), and network administration, including ability to navigate applications.
• Must have a professional demeanor and excellent customer service skills, including ability to maintain focus and professionalism with people in challenging situations, both in person and by phone.
• Bachelor's degree in accounting, communications, or related field.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk, reach, sit, finger, hear, handle, and perform repetitive motions of the hands/wrists. Lifts and moves items up to 20 pounds.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Travel is primarily within the state of Iowa during the business day, although some out-of-the-area and overnight travel may be expected.
The above job description is designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time as needed. Employment at St. Pius X Parish is at will and may be terminated by either party at any time for any lawful reason with or without cause or notice.
St. Pius X Parish is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described above are representative of the physical capabilities that must be met by an employee and the working conditions that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To learn more about this position please visit: https://www.crpiusx.org/now-hiring
Interested candidates can apply through CatholicJobs.org