Title of Position: Student Counselor
Department: Office of Student Success
Reports to Supervisor: Director of Counseling and Health
Holy Cross College's Mission: The Mission of Holy Cross College is to educate and form global citizens with the competence to see and the courage to act. Holy Cross is a Catholic college that advances the apostolic mission of the Brothers of Holy Cross. Our practical, experiential, liberal arts curriculum applies timeless truths to contemporary life and leads people to wholeness in the image of Christ.
Our hiring practices reflect this missional commitment to being a Christ-centered institution.
Typical Schedule: This is a full-time position M-F.
Purpose: The Student Counselor is responsible for counseling students in support of the educational mission of the College. The Student Counselor is under the direct supervision of the Director of Counseling and Health Services unless another qualified supervisor is appointed based on the educational requirements needed to supervise.
Essential Job Duties:
• All administrators, faculty and staff are called to assist students in their formation to be Christ-like students and thus must embrace and advance the Holy Cross mission of the College in all professional activities.
• Counsel students.
• Maintain proper record keeping practices in accordance with HIPAA privacy standards as outlined by the
Director of Counseling and Health.
• Act as a consultant to administration, faculty and staff regarding particular students or general issues pertaining to student mental health and well-being.
• Conduct training sessions for faculty, staff, and administration to assist in enabling them to identify those who may need counseling services.
• Assist OSS team in facilitating affinity small group discussions and workshops.
• Refer students, to specialists if additional counseling or assistance is necessary; provide case management.
• Maintain strict confidentiality unless given written permission to have the information released or as provided by Indiana law.
• Maintain professional affiliation with organizations related to counseling college students.
• Support the educational programs and offerings of the counseling and health office.
• Assist the Director with student accommodation intake and planning and coordinate with academic advisors' communication to faculty.
• Attend team meetings for the Office of Student Success
• As a member of the Office of Student Success Team, to build and increase the students' capacity for academic success, as well as positive social and emotional well-being.
• Other duties as assigned by the Directors of Counseling and Health and the Office of Student Success.
Minimum Education, Skills, and Ability:
• Master's degree in counseling (MSW, MMH, MFT) and professional counseling credentials (e.g., LCSW, etc.). Working on a Masters or Ph.D. in an appropriate field will be considered.
• A desire to embrace and enhance the Catholic, Holy Cross mission of the college.
• A keen interest in collaboration in a liberal arts college setting.
• An established record of counseling and administrative competence, particularly with students and parents.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Microsoft Office familiarity.
• Ability to work flexible hours to include some nights and weekends.
• Experience with small, faith-based, residential liberal arts colleges, either professionally or educationally.
• Experience in college student development and higher education
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills and physical demands required of personnel so classified. Employment at Holy Cross College is 'at will' meaning either the college or employee can end the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice. Holy Cross College is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on qualifications and are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or any other legally protected status. Interested candidates should submit resume, cover letter, and names and contact information for three references to [email protected]. Position Open until filled.