Title of Position: Assistant/Associate Professor of Biology
Department: Natural and Quantitative Sciences
Reports to Supervisor: Chair, Department of Natural and Quantitative Sciences
Holy Cross College's Mission: The Mission of Holy Cross College is to educate and form global citizens with the competence to see and the courage to act. Holy Cross is a Catholic college that advances the apostolic mission of the Brothers of Holy Cross. Our practical, experiential, liberal arts curriculum applies timeless truths to contemporary life and leads people to wholeness in the image of Christ.
Our hiring practices reflect this commitment to be a Christ-centered institution.
Typical Schedule: This is a full-time faculty position to begin July 2023.
Purpose: The Assistant/Associate Professor of Biology is a full-time, tenure-track position in the Department of Natural and Quantitative Sciences. Responsibilities include teaching 12 credit hours of undergraduate Biology per semester. As with all Holy Cross College personnel, faculty members share the responsibility of enhancing the Catholic, Holy Cross learning experience for all students.
Essential Job Duties:
• All administrators, faculty, and staff are called to assist students in their formation to be Christ-like students and thus must embrace and advance the Holy Cross mission of the College in all professional activities.
• Focus on Human Biology, must be able to teach a range of undergraduate Biology courses, including introductory courses to non-majors and upper level major courses, particularly Human Anatomy and Comparative Physiology.
• Assume the duties of Academic Director of the Biology program: this includes advising a small cohort of Biology majors and contributing to the ongoing curricular development of the Biology program.
• Assist students in seeing the relevance of the Catholic intellectual tradition to their particular field of study, and to guide students in scholarly conversations on these topics.
• Participate in the life of the College with service and other responsibilities to meet the needs of the Department and College.
Minimum Education, Skills, and Ability:
• Ph.D. in Biology with particular emphasis on Human Biology
• Previous college teaching experience preferred.
• Ability to work effectively with a diverse student population.
• Positive work experience in a Catholic college environment preferred.
NOTE: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, and physical demands required of personnel so classified. Holy Cross College is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are based on qualifications and are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, disability, or any other legally protected status. Interested candidates should submit cover letter, curriculum vitae, and three references (names and contact information) via email to Human Resources [email protected] Position open until filled.