DIRECTOR OF MUSIC AND LITURGY
St. Thomas the Apostle Church
1500 Brookdale Rd, Naperville, IL
Resumes accepted until the position is filled.
Please send resumes to: [email protected]
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Director of Music and Liturgy at St. Thomas the Apostle reports directly to the pastor and works collaboratively with him and the Associate Director of Liturgy as a team to further the mission of Jesus at St. Thomas. This mission is fulfilled by fostering and sustaining prayerful, life-giving worship through personal reflection, preparation, and celebration and by calling forth the gifts and talents of the community. The Director also collaborates with the parish staff, Pastoral Council, and its Commissions to provide ongoing liturgical and musical formation for the entire parish. The Director is committed to being a servant leader and liturgical musician who shares faith, serves the community, and expresses the love of God and neighbor through music as well as nurturing personal spiritual and ministerial growth.
Music (60 %)
1. Responsible for all music ministries by coordinating and overseeing the efforts and ongoing formation of parish vocal and instrumental ensembles and individual musicians:
a. Voices of Faith (60+ member adult male/female singers & instrumentalists)
b. Ensemble (male/female adult singers)
c. Genesis (male/female adult singers)
d. Sojourners (male/female adult singers)
e. Youth Choir (male/female elementary age singers)
f. Journey Praise (male/female middle school & high school singers and instrumentalists)
g. Resurrection Choir (male/female singers for funerals)
2. Rehearse, direct, and/or accompany the following ensembles: Voices of Faith, Genesis, Youth Choir, Journey Praise, Resurrection Choir, cantors, instrumentalists.
3. Work closely with and provide guidance for the directors/leaders of the following ensembles: Ensemble and Sojourners; rehearsing with and directing as needed.
4. Schedule parish music ministers to lead the assembly's singing for all weekend liturgies, holy days of obligation, sacramental celebrations, funerals, weddings, prayer services, and other special liturgies/events.
5. Select, prepare, and coordinate music for weekend liturgies and liturgical seasons.
6. Coordinate all technology needs for services in the church, including, but not limited to: Power Points, streaming Masses, videos, etc.
7. Secure copyright permission for all music and texts reprinted in participation aids; oversee the reporting of copyright information to the publishers.
8. Maintain the upkeep of all instruments and sound systems. (20 rank three manual Wicks pipe organ; 3 pianos; 2 digital pianos; electric bass; handbells; drum set; 3 timpani; congas; various hand percussion; church and gym sound systems)
9. Promote ongoing liturgical formation developing a sense of musical prayer, not performance as a musical minister.
10. Schedule regular opportunities for music ministers to further their musical skills through workshops and training provided by liturgy/music staff and visiting artists.
11. Provide opportunities to build community among those in music ministry and communicate support and appreciation for their volunteer ministry.
a. Present music and liturgy portion of the wedding workshop; held 4 times per year for couples to be married at St. Thomas.
b. Provide musicians for all weddings.
c. Assist couples with the creation of a worship aid for the wedding liturgy.
a. When the Associate Director of Liturgy is unable to do so, meet with family members to plan the funeral liturgy.
b. Provide musicians for all funerals.
c. Oversee the creation of the worship aid for the funeral liturgy.
d. Occasionally provide music for wake/visitation services held at St. Thomas.
Liturgy (20 %)
1. Serve as staff representative on the Worship Commission.
2. Function as a resource for ongoing growth and understanding of the nature of worship; support current developments and trends by providing catechesis and information through the bulletin, website, announcements, Mass announcements, and other vehicles of communication.
3. Collaborate with the Associate Director of Liturgy to plan and prepare liturgies and prayer services; organize and facilitate seasonal liturgical celebrations.
4. Collaborate with Religious Education departments to prepare and celebrate sacramental liturgies and special prayer services.
Additional Duties (20%)
1. Prepare and oversee the annual budget for Music and Liturgy ministries.
2. Schedule periodic concerts/performances/musical presentations/prayer experiences to enrich the parish community and challenge the music ministers to further their skills. (Some artists who have provided these opportunities in the past at St. Thomas include Tony Alonso, John Angotti, Jeanne Cotter, Chris de Silva, Marty Haugen, and Lori True.)
3. Participate regularly in all-staff meetings.