Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth - U.S.A., Inc.
Position Title: Communications Director
Ministry Area: Communications Reports to: Provincial Secretary
Full-time, exempt Date prepared: April 12, 2023
Directs and oversees communications for the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, Holy Family Province. Identify key messages about the CSFN mission and charism and share those messages with targeted audiences: sisters, donors, friends, ministry partners, media, the communities where the sisters serve and youth and young adults.
The Communications Director is responsible for supervising the Assistant Communications Director, the Communications Coordinator, and the communications budget. She or he maintains active membership in the Communicators for Women Religious.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
1. Enhance the mission of the Sisters by promoting an appropriate public image of the Congregation across all media outlets.
2. Evaluate existing province communications (print and electronic) against target audiences and adjust as necessary.
3. Manage province communications (print and electronic) for internal and external audiences, as directed by the Provincial Leadership Team.
4. Implement, evaluate and revise the Strategic Communications Plan in consultation with the Province Leadership Team and the various communications support groups and committees.
5. Direct livestream and Zoom events.
6. Direct the province social media accounts, providing content in collaboration with the communications coordinator, development office, and vocation office.
7. Create, write, design and publish province communication materials such as Province News, daily as needed (internal); the three-times annually Nazareth Connections (external audiences, including sisters); the monthly Nazareth Encounters e-newsletter (to sisters and general public); ads, news releases, etc.
8. Monitor secular and Catholic media coverage across the United States, including print, online, and broadcast news stories about the province and individual sisters.
9. Work collaboratively with the Leadership Team, Development, Editorial Board, Communications Coordinating Committee and the various other groups, teams and committees comprising the province and its mission.
10. Support special events with needed collateral and technical support along with photography and video coverage.
11. Build relationships with and facilitates communication among and between CSFN constituencies.
12. Identify and implement appropriate communications, public relations and media links to assure effective external communications.
13. Develop an annual budget that reflects strategic communications plan for the upcoming fiscal year.
14. Supervise Communications Departmental staff.
15. Keep abreast of current events in the Province, Catholic Church and society
16. Keep Crisis Management Plan updated and be available 24/7 in the event of a crisis.
Other special projects as needs they arise.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
• Master's degree in communications, public relations or related field.
• 5-10 years' experience in communications for corporate and/or non-profit entities.
• Supports the mission of the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth, the Catholic Church and the role of women religious in the Church and society
• Experience in strategic and tactical communications planning
• Skilled in technology including but not limited to MS Office, Adobe Creative Suite, video editing, Zoom hosting, livestreaming, Constant Contact, website management, etc.
• Experience in photography and videography
• Ability to balance strategic, creative and practical communication needs of the Province.
• Experience in writing, editing and designing print publications and producing electronic media.
• Ability and willingness to travel.
• Collaborative approach to communications; willing to listen and respond timely to requests
• Resume and portfolio of work required.
General office setting.
Suggested work hours (flexible to accommodate the needs of the department): 7:30 - 3:30, Monday through Friday
Occasional travel required.