TITLE Director of Communications
SUPERVISOR Vicar General
The Communications Director is responsible for developing and distributing content furthering the mission of the diocese internally and externally. The Communications Director is responsible for all media outlets including web communications, social media, and print as well as for facilitating communication with parishes.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Reflect, articulate, and promote the mission, vision and identity of the Diocese of Joliet and the Catholic Church.
• Work collaboratively with various diocesan agencies and parishes to help ensure consistency of messages across all channels.
• Follow the diocesan communications strategy and policy.
• Create, recommend, and provide communication resources and tools to share with the leaders of the different diocesan departments.
• Write and distribute news releases and communication pieces for the diocese, including assisting parishes and schools with media relations, and consulting on media resources.
• Design, produce and monitor appealing digital content, including website, social media posts, podcasts, videos, web banners and images to ensure that new and consistent information (articles, photos, events, etc.) is posted regularly and in a timely manner.
• Manage the strategic and creative design of communications activities and materials of the diocese and its ministries.
• Coordinate audio-visual needs for diocesan events, including videotaping, production, and editing.
• Work collaboratively with the various diocesan departments to assure good internal and external communication.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Manages communications budget.
• Handles other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree (Master's degree preferred) in communications or public relations, along with a minimum of ten (10) years previous experience in public relations and communication in a comparable position.
• Thorough knowledge of communication principles and practices with exceptional ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Skills in audio/video production.
• Knowledge of church organizational and operations procedures.
• Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and organizational skills.
• Impeccable copywriting and copy-editing abilities.
• Ability to make presentations, provide training, mentoring, and supervising.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships with parishes, schools, and the media
• Ability to handle multiple projects/priorities simultaneously.
• Work collaboratively under pressure in critical situations.
• Since this is a ministerial position, must be a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing, and must know, profess and act consistently in accordance with the doctrinal and moral teachings of the Catholic Church, and with the mission, philosophy, objectives and policies of the Diocese of Joliet.
• Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Friday 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Weekend and evening work as required.
If you are interested in the outstanding opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. No phone calls, please.