Director of Development Job Description
Founded in 1875 by St. Arnold Janssen, the Society of the Divine Word (SVD) is the largest Roman Catholic order that focuses on missionary work. Divine Word Missionaries (DWM), based in Techny, Illinois, is the international missionary arm of Society of the Divine Word. Our priests and brothers who spread the Word of God abroad are also referred to as Divine Word Missionaries. Throughout our history, we have entered lands where people are in need. As we listen to the people, observe their ways, and become a part of their communities, we also discover how best we can show God's love to them.
Today, Divine Word Missionaries come from all over the world, working together to help the most disadvantaged of God's children in 80 countries across five continents. Based on their education and formation, Divine Word Missionary priests and brothers live interculturally with the poor and neglected. You will find them working with orphaned children in India, victims of HIV-AIDS in Thailand, and youth groups in inner city Chicago. You will also find Divine Word Missionaries holding leadership positions within the congregation, teaching in institutions of higher learning, and collaborating with lay people to advance the cause of peace and justice.
Divine Word Missionaries live St. Arnold's belief that, "...to proclaim the Good News is the first and greatest act of love of neighbor."
Director of Development Role and Responsibilities
Divine Word Missionaries seeks a Director of Development to lead strategy and execution for a comprehensive fundraising program. The Director of Development will report to the National Mission Director and serve on the Mission Center Management Team, along with the Mission Director and Treasurer. The Director of Development will be charged with diversifying and growing DWM's multi-channel fundraising program. Emphasis will be on building a new major and planned giving program through personal donor engagement. The Director will oversee all aspects of the Development office, including research, major gifts, planned giving, development operations, communications, annual giving, and analysis of fundraising and marketing performance. He or she will have three to four direct reports and the opportunity to grow the Development team over time.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
• Implement a major and planned giving program, including strategy and tactics.
• Identify, research, and qualify prospective individual, corporate, and foundation donors to build the prospect pipeline.
• Conduct in-person cultivation, briefing, and solicitation meetings, both independently and in partnership with the National Mission Director to secure major and planned gifts.
• Recruit and coordinate activity for a donor network committed to fundraising for Divine Word Missionaries.
• Manage and coordinate a cultivation and stewardship program that includes one-on-one meetings, cultivation events, donor communications and reports, and other initiatives to engage and inform current and prospective donors.
• Oversee and coordinate, with the appropriate managers, the day-to-day operations and management of the Mission Center fundraising programs. This includes database management and strategy to segment, target and strengthen donor stewardship opportunities.
• Ensure that donations from all giving channels are acknowledged in a consistent and timely manner.
• Serve as the liaison to the National Mission Director for all fundraising activities: report on fundraising status of current programs, encourage the identification and support of emerging priorities, and assist the Mission Director with year-end reporting to the Mission Center Board of Directors and the Generalate in Rome.
• Work to continually refine strategy, protocol, and procedures related to the fundraising program. Communicate priorities internally to staff.
• Deep personal commitment to the Catholic faith and the mission of the Society of the Divine Word.
• Five to ten (5-10) years of progressive development experience.
• Successful track record of soliciting and closing gifts at the $100,000+ level from individual, corporate and/or foundation donors.
• Experience in building and managing a portfolio of individual, corporate and/or foundation donors.
• Experience coordinating event and/or communications programs focused on donor engagement.
• Familiarity with fundraising office administration (best-practices, protocols, procedures, and data management).
• Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to foster collaboration across a large, geographically expansive organization.
• Excellent skills in diplomacy, verbal and written communications, time management, and attention to detail.
• Ability to manage staff effectively to achieve high performance and promote a pleasant and collaborative work environment.
• Willingness to travel nationally and work occasional evenings and weekends.
Apply to the Position
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Divine Word Missionaries at [email protected]