The Regional Associate Director of Youth Ministry is appointed by the Bishop in consultation with his executive council.
In light of "Courageously Living the Gospel" and the mission of the Diocese of St. Petersburg, the Regional Associate Director enables the Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministry to assist parishes, parish youth ministry leaders, and Catholic secondary schools of the diocese in the design and collaborative implementation of quality youth ministry programs.
The Regional Associate Director fosters a comprehensive and holistic approach to youth ministry on a regional level that covers Hillsborough, Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus counties. The associate recognizes the cultural, developmental, and spiritual diversity among adolescent Catholics. He/She will be a part of a larger team, where collectively, they will work to build a youth ministry culture that proclaims, invites, and encounters.
- Accountable to the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry, as well as the Executive Director for Missionary Discipleship.
- Provide constant, ongoing support to parish youth ministry leaders.
- This support will come in the form of frequent visits to meet with the pastor and his parish staff, visits to principles and campus ministers, regular attendance at local youth ministry events, and ongoing communication sharing upcoming events and resources.
- Provides visibility at Sunday liturgies within the region in addition to the parish youth ministry delegate to heighten awareness of youth ministry programs at the parish and among parishes as well as within the region as needed.
- Assess the current needs, realities, and struggles of each region and seek ways to best assist in providing the local community with the appropriate avenues, either through resources, trainings, and/or events.
- Assist pastors, principals, youth ministry leaders in developing and implementing a vision of ministry to, with, and for the young church, including the adolescent catechesis component.
- In collaboration with the Associate Director of Young Adult Ministry assists with college and university campus ministry programs in welcoming incoming first year students and assist deaneries in fulfilling their call to "Courageously Living the Gospel" by developing ways to effectively evangelize, invite, and minister to the student body.
- Review applications and assist parishes and Catholic Schools, as requested, in hiring and evaluating youth and/or young adult ministry leaders.
- Develop and coordinate leadership training programs for youth and adult leaders, on a smaller parish, deanery, or regional level.
Coordinate regional participation and spiritual preparation for large events such as March for Life, Good Samaritan Project, youth rally, National Catholic Youth Conference (NCYC).
- Work with parishes and schools to build and sustain youth ministry, including leadership training, bible studies, retreats, etc.
- Provides support for the Diocesan Catholic Committee on Scouting, to include active roles with organizing Scout Sunday, training of adults, award review boards, and the annual Scout retreats.
- Contribute material to the Diocesan websites and social media platforms, in addition to creating regional networks.
Prepare and monitor expenditures for the annual operating budget for the local region.
- May be asked to represent the diocese at youth ministry national gatherings sponsored by USCCB and NFCYM. This currently includes the NFCYM Annual Membership Meeting and annual regional meetings.
- Participate in and promotes ongoing formation in the field of youth, such as National Conference on Catholic Youth Ministry and Lifeteen Trainings.
- Works in partnership with associate directors of Young Adult and Pastoral Juvenil ministries
- Collaborates with other members of the Missionary Discipleship team.
- Works with pastors, principals and their staff in developing and enhancing parish ministry to youth.
- Assists Catholic school principals and their staff in implementing youth ministry principles for their students.
- Participates in appropriate professional organizations relating to youth ministry, and campus ministry including The National Federation of Catholic Youth Ministers (NFCYM), and Region 14 of these associations and other associations with a ministerial and/or professional mission to serve youth.
- Interacts with various offices of the Bishop W. Thomas Larkin Pastoral Center.
- Fosters interaction and collaboration with the parish coordinators of youth and young adult ministry.
- Fosters interaction and collaboration with chaplains and/or campus ministers at Catholic secondary schools in the Diocese.
This position is expected to be in a Catholic, Christian environment. Home office TBD, with required engagements off campus on various nights and weekends. This position will require local travel throughout Hillsborough, Pasco, Hernando, and Citrus counties. This position will require video conferencing. They will be required to have a minimum of three office days per month at the Pastoral Center for planning meetings.
Qualifications and Skills
-Bachelor's degree in an area of pastoral ministry, theology, religious education, administration/leadership, youth ministry and/or appropriately related fields
- Successful professional experience in Catholic Youth Ministry at the Parish and/or Diocesan level
- Successful experience in adolescent catechesis.
Additional Competencies, Skills or Endorsements
- Interact with people as an administrator, leader, and a pastoral care provider.
- Promote effective small and large group communications with persons in leadership positions.
- Facilitate work in team situations.
- Plan, organize facilitate, direct, delegate and manage the work of the office and events associated with Youth Ministry.
- Write and speak effectively. A working understanding and/or fluency in the Spanish language (preferred).
- Have a working knowledge of Church documents appropriate to Youth and Young Adult Ministry and related fields such as Evangelization, Catechesis, Catholic Education, Multicultural and Lay Formation.
- Fiscally and responsibly manage the annual budget for the Office for Youth and Young Adult Ministry
Candidate must successfully pass a Level II FBI Background Screening and complete Safe Environment Training.