St. Paul of the Cross Catholic Church located in North Palm Beach, FL is searching for a full time Director of Music Ministries.
The Diocese is dedicated to providing excellent working conditions with competitive compensation in order to attract and retain an outstanding workforce. The Diocese of Palm Beach offers a competitive benefits package to employee's working 30 or more hours per work week consisting of comprehensive medical, vision, dental, LTD, group life insurance, optional life insurance. The diocese also provides a 403(b)-retirement plan to all employees. Information on our benefits and retirement programs can be found here, https://www.diocesepb.org/employment-center/employee-benefits/.
This energetic person of faith is responsible for the effective planning, coordination, and execution of music within the liturgical celebrations of the parish. Reporting directly to the Pastor, the Director of Music Ministries is responsible for: Planning of appropriate music at Masses and other liturgical celebrations; Recruitment, training, motivation, rehearsal, and oversight of a variety of liturgical music ensembles, including both paid and volunteers, children's choir, youth/young adults, contemporary, traditional choir, and cantors; Organ and piano accompaniment to serve all styles of liturgical music.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Ministry to all members of the parish of approximately 1400 families.
• Cohesive, long-range planning of music for Masses through the Liturgical seasons, providing some commonality of music at all but allowing each Mass its own identity.
• Serving the Liturgy by leading the people to a deeper worship through song.
• Using GIA Gather Hymnals.
• Planning music for three regular Masses per weekend, Holy Days, other special Masses and liturgies.
• Scheduling, rehearsal, and training of paid and volunteer cantors, provision of music for cantors.
• Accompaniment or provision for accompaniment at all Masses with music, with piano and organ 1979 Moller organ [2 manuals, 2 8ranks], Yamaha grand piano.
• Arranging for regular tuning and maintenance of the piano and organ.
• Adult choir - currently 30+ members, weekly rehearsals for Sunday Mass and special Masses, recruitment of new members, planning and distribution of music for vocalists and accompanist [currently iPads and sheet music], basic vocal training.
• Contemporary Mass - Using WorshipNow Hymnals, piano, guitars and drums; Recruitment and training of youth and adult vocalists, weekly rehearsals.
• Maintenance of copyright-legal music library for vocalists and instrumentalists, including digital.
• Family Mass - planning for, training, and inclusion of a children's ensemble as needed.
• Funerals - Meeting with families to plan appropriate music, arranging for cantor, stipend usually provided by family.
• Weddings - Consulting with bride and groom, approval of appropriate music, arranging for cantor and musicians, stipend provided by family.
• Digital Carillon - scheduling and maintenance of bell system, with use of dedicated iPad
• Liturgy Committee - currently plans and leads monthly Liturgy Committee meetings
• Is not only musically gifted, but also eager to lead the parishioners in worship;
• Develops, leads, and implements plans to serve the liturgy while moving parishioners to full participation in the Mass and in other sacred gatherings
• Inspires and invites others to participate in worship through music ministry
• Has experience and knowledge of Catholic liturgy and will be part of our parish Liturgy
• Seeks out educational opportunities to remain updated on the newest liturgical norms
• Shows competency as both a keyboardist and a vocalist
• Practices regularly to maintain and improve musical skills
• Maintains good vocal and auditory health
• Displays strong public speaking skills
• Displays proficiency in computer and related technology, e.g. digital music, ForScore
• Is an actively engaged member of the parish and the parish staff, participating in staff meetings, trainings, and prayer
• Has strong interpersonal skills
• Shows skills in coordinating activities and establishing priorities
• collaborates with professional Sound Technician to maintain equipment owned by the parish, striving to provide optimal sound quality
• Has a Bachelor's or Master's degree in music or its equivalent
• Has at least five years' experience in a parish music director's position
• Adhere to the Diocese of Palm Beach Code of Conduct with emphasis on confidentiality
• Complies with the required Diocesan background check and Safe Environments screening.
• Excellent vocal and auditory health.
• Frequent use of hands, fingers, legs and feet.
• Use of back, arms, and hands for directing.
• Occasional time spent working closely with others
• Sometimes prolonged periods of standing and sitting
• Sometimes prolonged use of voice for speaking and singing.
The above is intended to describe the general context of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
The Employment Application and submit along with your resume, salary requirements and list of references to the attention of Patricia Quinn, Office Manager at [email protected].