Position: Our Lady of Peace Parish Administrative Assistant
Office Hours: Monday to Thursday 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; Friday 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Reports to: The Pastor
The Parish Administrative Assistant at Our Lady of Peace Parish is a part-time, non-exempt hourly position reporting to the Pastor. The incumbent is responsible for being the public face for the parish by answering the phone as well as welcoming visitors to the Parish Center. The individual will also be responsible for managing, creating, and distributing parish communications. The individual will maintain sacramental records and maintain the parish and Pastor's schedule/calendar, in addition to performing other administrative tasks that contribute to the fulfillment of the parish's mission. This position requires strong attention to detail, good organizational skills, and the ability to communicate well with parishioners/visitors/staff. The incumbent should possess technology skills (proficiency using Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher; e-mail and the Internet, Google, etc.) that are adequate to perform the duties of the position.
- Welcomes parishioners and other visitors to the Parish Center who come for meetings or who seek assistance from the parish.
- Coordinate funeral information and notify ministers involved as needed.
- Maintains records for baptisms, confirmations, first communions, marriages, deaths, mass intentions, etc.
- Maintains the parish and Pastor's schedule/calendar.
- Enters data on current and new parishioners into the parish database; serves as backup in entering the offertory collection data into ParishSoft, the parish's church-management software.
- Manages the envelopes used for offertory gifts from parishioners.
- Oversees the sorting and distribution of office mail.
- Answers phone and in-person inquiries as needed.
- Schedules meetings for the pastor and other parish staff as needed.
- Manages the scheduling/coordination of the use of OLOP facilities for meetings/events by internal and external groups; ensures OLOP shared calendars are continually updated.
- Attends and participates in parish/staff meetings.
- Manages phone-system greetings.
- Performs routine upkeep and parts replacement/replenishment for office equipment in the Parish Center.
- Makes office-supply and janitorial and sacramental purchases as needed; manages office supplies in the supply room.
- Assists Deacon in scheduling and recording of sick, homebound and hospital visits.
- Manage parish website and Flocknotes
- Develops an understanding of short- and long-term organizational goals and planned initiatives.
- Acts as a liaison between OLOP committees, councils and parish staff as well as outside organizations.
- Prepare annual Diocesan reports, i.e., corporation documents and Mass census.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Possesses an understanding of Catholic environments and practices.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate information clearly and effectively to parishioners and visitors.
- Demonstrates patience and understanding when dealing with confused, grieving, or difficult visitors to the office.
- Is friendly, courteous and works well with a range of different personalities.
- Possesses knowledge of software normally used in an office setting and computer skills adequate to perform the tasks associated with the job, as well as an ability to learn new technologies as necessary.
- Possesses basic graphic design skills.
- Possesses strong writing skills.
- Adheres to deadlines; is self-motivated and detail oriented.
- Has good organizational skills.
- Has superior customer-service skills and mindset.
- Is capable of multitasking, thinking creatively, and working with a sense of mission and dedication to do the work of the Catholic Church through Our Lady of Peace Parish.
- High School diploma or equivalent (bachelor's degree preferred).
- Two years+ of work experience in an office environment serving a dedicated customer base.
- Practicing Roman Catholic in good standing with the Church.
Please send a resume and cover letter to Rev. Peter Towsley, Pastor at: [email protected]