The Accountant will work closely with and report to the Director of Administration and Operations to serve as the financial support for the parish and staff. This position will oversee and direct the various accounting and financial functions of the parish including, but not limited to, general ledger, accounts payable and receivable, budgeting and payroll. This individual will also work with the Director to ensure compliance with Archdiocesan policies and local, state, and federal regulations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities (not all-inclusive)
• Oversees the Accounting function for the Cathedral Basilica.
• Ensures the accuracy and timeliness of all Financial Reporting for the parish.
• Develop annual operating budget for the parish and comparative reports.
• Prepare parish audits & reviews.
• Maintain appropriate files for accounts payable, fixed assets, payroll and general ledger.
• Ensures proper coding of vouchers and timely payment of outstanding invoices.
• Maintains vendor records and relationships.
• Maintains banking relationships.
• Processes bi-weekly Payroll ensuring accurate wages and compliance with all governmental regulations.
• Onboard Parish employees using Paycom.
• Ensure accurate employee designation; exempt vs nonexempt.
• Maintain data in the PayCom System: Employee data, benefits, compliance and pension.
• Supports weekly money counters process & control procedures.
• Ensures the accurate recording of all donations.
• Oversees preparation and distribution of end of year donor letters.
• Actively participates in the Quarterly Finance Council Meetings.
• Provides cash flow reporting & analysis.
• Monthly Reconciliations of Bank Statements.
• Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Job Knowledge and Skill Requirements
• Bachelor's degree either Finance, Accounting, or Business with strong accounting experience.
• Minimum of three years' experience in an accounting role, CPA preferred not required. Desired experience working in a parish or non-profit environment.
• Strong knowledge of GAAP, nonprofit accounting, and internal control procedures.
• Experience in personnel and benefits management.
• Ability to organize and prioritize many concurrent tasks.
• Comfortable presenting detailed financial information to non-financial individuals and groups.
• Excellent written and verbal skills.
• Systems expertise using the Microsoft Office Suite.
• Experienced using Accounting, Donor, and Payroll software.
Desired knowledge with ParishSoft and Paycom but not required.
Candidates must refrain from promotion or approval of, or the living out of, and conduct or lifestyle that would reflect discredit or disgrace on, or cause scandal in relationship to, the Archdiocese of Denver, or considered to be in contradiction with Catholic doctrine or morals