Job Description: Bookkeeper
The bookkeeper is responsible for the day-to-day data entry for SJI's accounting system including EEM. Timely and accurate maintenance of accounting records is expected. The bookkeeper will support the Business Office in the following areas: daily accounting and financial task management, monthly reconciliation, monthly financial reporting, and assisting with IRS Form 990 preparation and annual accounting reviews with the President, Chief of Staff, and Finance Director. This is a part time position for 20 hours per week. The bookkeeper reports to the Finance Director. Remote work is possible. Mass offered on site. Our office hours are 8:30-5pm Monday-Friday.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Perform day to day entry for the Saint John Institute's (SJI) accounting system including EEM as assigned by SJI
• Perform daily/weekly maintenance of QB daily entries. Work with Finance Director and Development Director to identify and maintain correct class and designation, attach receipts to QB, and manage reconciliation of all bank accounts: SJI, EEM, and Special Projects
• Prepare monthly financial reports according to the preparation and reporting schedule
• Perform closing activities according to Closing Calendar
• Weekly review that all transactions follow the budget structure of the organization and departments
• Guarantee that all transactions follow the structure of department, event and account according to the budget structure
• Perform weekly AP entries into the QB software for each ministry
• Prepare the following files: 1) revenue reconciliations comparing our revenue software and QB; 2) depreciation reconciliations; 3) Special Projects reconciliations; 4) credit card reconciliations and, 5) payroll reconciliations
• Prepare schedule supports for 990 as directed by Finance Director and financial procedures
• Access SJI payroll vendor (Trinet) to itemize salaries & tax payments in QB on a weekly basis
• Maintain chart of accounts. Keep a clear audit trail in QB that includes supporting documentation for all transactions. Support filing of the supporting documentation.
Other Duties and Responsibilities as Assigned
• Additional assignments may include but are not limited to software implementation, writing procedures, etc.
• Meet with Finance Director at least one time per week on a weekly basis
• Actively participate in team meetings, events, other duties
• Some evening meetings and/or weekend work may be required
• 5 years of experience with accounting and bookkeeping
• 3 years of experience with financial structures, tax laws, and QuickbooksR
• Experience in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Familiarity with Excel, Word, PowerPoint
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Strong organization and interpersonal skills
• Timely, effective communication and collaboration with the team
• Strong work ethic, integrity, professionalism, problem solving and critical thinking skills
• Ability to adapt, be flexible, and multi-task in a fast-changing environment
• Moral life according to the teachings of the Catholic Church
• Teachable spirit. Willing to take on new tasks as assigned.
• Experience in a non-profit organization
Bachelor's Degree in a related field
Licenses and Certifications:
None Required. None preferred.