POSITION: Director of Religious Education
REPORTS TO: Pastor
SALARY: $50,000 - $70,000 plus Benefits
HOURS: Full time (35 hours/week) (Includes weekday office hours & hours on Sunday. Hours may need to be adjusted to accommodate various faith formation and liturgical events.)
The Director of Religious Education administrates (designs, develops, directs, and evaluates) the parish catechetical programs for adult and children to include Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA), Religious Education for public school children (grades K-5) and sacramental preparation. The DRE works under the guidance and the leadership of the pastor.
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Maintain, assess, and direct the Religious Education programs and needs of the parish, including RCIA and Religious Education for Public School Children.
• Recruit, train, supervise, and schedule all volunteers for CCD and Children's Liturgy.
• Prepare adults for Sacraments of Initiation.
• Coordinate and prepare Religious Education students for sacraments.
• Identify students in Religious Education or School of the Madeleine in need of Sacraments of Initiation (RCIC), late sacraments, or Professions of Faith and adequately prepare them.
• Coordinate Religious Education for Homeschooled students.
• Provide parents of children receiving sacraments with ongoing faith formation, primarily parent meetings.
• Maintain relationships and communication with pastor, other parish staff members, school principal, and Diocesan Office of Religious Education.
• Attend parish staff, deanery, and diocesan meetings/events.
• Create and monitor a budget, to be approved, for Religious Education.
• Direct the selection process and purchase of texts and materials for Religious Education and instruct catechists in their use in conjunction with the Pastor.
• Maintain accurate records on students, families, and volunteers.
• Maintain and oversee Safe Environment Programs for catechists, volunteers, and students and keep the Safe Environment coordinator up-to-date on volunteers.
• Maintain Religious Education information on parish website.
• File and record all First Communions, Professions of Faith, and RCIC student information in Sacramental Records.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Responsible for supervision of all secretarial staff assigned to the Office of Religious Education.
• Oversee all volunteers in all religious education programs (excluding Jr. High and Youth Ministry programs).
• Proficient in English, written and spoken.
• A strong understanding of Catholic Liturgy, Catholic teachings, Catholic faith, and Catholic principles.
• B.A. or M.A. in Religious Education, Catechesis, Theology, or Pastoral Ministry is preferred.
• Should be least 21 years of age.
• Complete and clear a background check.
• Successfully complete Safe Environment Curriculum and CA Sexual Harassment Training.