TITLE: Development & Marketing Director
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
The Development & Marketing Director will lead fundraising efforts by creating and executing a plan to fund CIH programs and cultivating donor and public relations.
Key Performance Indicators:
• Quarterly and annual fundraising goals met: $900k raised annually to cover monthly operating costs and long-term development goals.
• Personal contact via phone calls or in-person visits with all major donors who give at least $1000 or more annually.
• Electronic and mail publication, as well as grant application deadlines met.
• Weekly management system executed for development team with team satisfaction measured by quarterly surveys.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Principal accountabilities shall include but not be limited to:
1) Fund Development. Identify all potential sources of giving with expected returns, make fundraising plans, and supervise the marketing/development staff and volunteers necessary to achieve fund raising goals. Cultivate and appropriately acknowledge donors and potential donors. You will provide leadership, training and encouragement to all Board Members in supporting CIH's giving programs. You will work with the Board's Development Committee and utilize volunteers to identify and approach key donors or prospective donors in order to solicit financial support.
a. Fundraising will include (but is not limited to):
i. Annual and Monthly Giving. You will create an increasing donor base by creating and distributing a monthly mailed newsletter, weekly email updates or campaigns, and scheduling and executing routine and special occasion social media posts.
ii. Prospect Appeal. You will conduct an annual prospect letter of appeal specifically designed to reach a new segment of population not currently supporting Children of the Immaculate Heart.
iii. In-Person Events. In conjunction with the Board's Fundraising Events Committee, you will review and recommend all in person fundraising events. You will work with staff and volunteers, as needed, to organize and execute in-person events. You will solicit for sponsors or underwriters to help off-set the in-person event expenses. You will complete a post event evaluation of the cost/returns for all events along with the chair of the Fundraising Events Committee.
iv. Electronic/on-line fundraising. You will create on-line fundraising opportunities through social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter), our website, webinars, Zoom meetings, and organize specific funding campaigns through Go-Fund-Me or a similar platform. You will incorporate CIH program videos into on-line fundraising campaigns.
v. Corporate Giving. You will establish a corporate giving plan and utilize volunteers, executive staff and board members to assist in gift solicitation. You will track corporate interests and giving cycles to determine timing and the focus of gift requests.
vi. Planned Giving. You will design and market planned giving opportunities to CIH supporters. You will cultivate a relationship with the San Diego Catholic Community Foundation to aid in maximizing planned giving through the SD CCF. You will foster an ongoing relationship with any current planned gift donors.
vii. Grant Writing. You will identify the appropriate grants available that will support CIH programs and coordinate with financial staff to apply for the grants using up-to-date financials. You will secure renewals of annual grants that are currently benefiting CIH.
viii. Memorial Giving. You will develop and administer a Memorial and Honor Gifts program. You will assure that all aspects of the program are complete and implemented including marketing, gift posting/reporting, and acknowledgement via cards to donor and family.
ix. Publications. You will identify and prepare necessary publications for donor solicitation, marketing, wills and bequest program, etc., including newsletters, pamphlets, brochures, etc.
x. Donor Recognition. You will oversee the appropriate acknowledgement and recognition of donors including thank you letters, lunches, etc. You will identify and cultivate all donors of $500 or more.
xi. Planning. You will design an annual, written fund development plan including staff, volunteers, objectives, and budget.
b. Policies & Procedures. You will design and revise, as needed, written policies that reflect the purpose and direction of CIH's fund development programs. Formal policies require the approval of the Board of Directors.
2) Manage DonorView Contact and Donor Information. You will supervise the Fund Development staff to assure timely and accurate gift posting, monthly and annual reports, donor records, mail merge functions, word processing, communications and miscellaneous directories and lists. You will use and extract the information to further fundraising goals, newsletters and ensure the information in DonorView is kept up-to-date.
3) Staff Supervision & Professional Development. The Development & Marketing Director is responsible for leading the marketing and development team and supervising the department's staff. It is imperative to provide direction for this department, utilizing staff skills to accomplish the overall fundraising objectives of the organization. CIH's management and accountability systems are to be utilized to facilitate this process, along with evaluating performance. You will hire and terminate staff as needed in coordination with the Executive Director. You will also plan and coordinate appropriate training and skill development for all fund development staff.
4) Marketing. The focus of marketing shall be primarily to develop strategies that spread the message of CIH, increase awareness of human trafficking in San Diego, and solicit donations.
a. Marketing Materials. Your job is to communicate to the marketing and development team what marketing materials need to be developed. It is your responsibility to create a strategic plan for the creation of these materials and hold the team accountable for its execution after assigning various tasks to team members. Materials should portray a consistent image of CIH (branding) throughout everything that is visible to the public: website, emails, social media, paper mailings, in-person events, and community awareness events.
b. Marketing Campaigns. You will create marketing campaigns throughout the year that include, but are not limited to: Capital Campaigns, various drives for the Adult Program, the Annual Gala and other in-person fundraisers.
5) Public Relations. The focus of public relations shall be the establishment of a publicity program, the design of program priorities, and the necessary evaluations of each program component.
a. Publicity Plan. You will oversee the development and implementation of an annual plan to gain increased visibility for CIH in the community.
b. Delegation. You will delegate specific duties to appropriate staff and monitor results.
c. Agency Clients. You will maintain agency standards of confidentiality and personal dignity when involving children or families in special events, photo shoots or any interaction with the media.
d. Radio, Television and Print Interviews. You will solicit opportunities for CIH/ED to be interviewed on Catholic or other radio and television programs such as Relevant Radio, EWTN, and the National Catholic Register.
6) Budgeting. You will prepare preliminary budget estimates for annual fundraising, marketing, and public relations expenditures and monitor actual monthly expenses against the budget. After Board approval of budgets, the Development Director will be held responsible for the team staying on budget.
Principal relationships include: the CEO, Office Manager, Marketing Associate, assigned web master, Board of Directors' fundraising, event planning, and development committees.
The Development & Marketing Manager will have:
1. B.S. or B.A. degree in business, marketing communications, journalism, or related field. Demonstrated work experience in fund development can qualify in lieu of these specific college degrees.
2. Experience and knowledge of the principles and practical applications of fundraising, marketing, and public relations.
3. Experience in using CRM software to build and maintain donor database; extrapolate data to assist in fundraising strategies and donor relations.
4. Proficiency in using Office Suite and/or Microsoft 365 platforms.
5. The understanding of the role of Board members and volunteers in fund raising and be able to provide and accept leadership and direction to and from the Board in soliciting gifts from the community.
6. Experience supervising staff and the ability to lead a team effectively.
7. The ability to create written content to communicate with donors and the public that will inform and motivate them to support CIH.
8. Creativity, social skills, flexibility, self-motivation, and good organizational abilities. You must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
Executive Corporation Team
Chief Executive Officer
To apply, visit: childrenoftheimmaculateheart.org/careers.html