Position Description: Vision of Hope, a network of eight urban Catholic elementary schools in the tradition of the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose, is embarking on its 2nd major funding campaign and is seeking an experienced, responsible, and relationally skilled Development Director to manage the campaign and oversee annual fund activities.
The Dominican Sisters founded Vision of Hope in 1995 to ensure the quality, affordability and vibrant future for eight of their poorest elementary schools, five in Los Angeles, two in San Francisco, and one in Oakland. The eight Vision of Hope schools are diocesan schools but considered affiliate schools of the Dominican Sisters of Mission San Jose. They embody the charism and commitment to the four pillars of the Dominican Order: prayer, community, study, and service.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
Campaign Management (55%)
· Directs key staff, board members, and volunteers on campaign assignments, manages schedules, provides support, and accountability
· In collaboration with Executive Director, evaluates, and prioritizes prospects in order to assign priority levels and primary callers
· In collaboration with the Executive Director prepares written strategies for engaging high priority donors and mid-level donors
· Prepares all materials needed for major gift solicitation
· Staffs the Campaign Leadership Team (CLT)
o Leads and prepares agendas for CLT meetings
o Prepares monthly updates on the campaign
o Prepares reports on activities, potential gifts, engaged but not committed donors, and total amount committed toward goal
o Assists with arranging meetings as needed with prospects for the CLT
· Operates data systems for managing prospect engagement strategy and planning
· Prepares reports projecting strategies for various gift levels and timeframes for engagement
· Develops and implements a foundation and corporate giving strategy
Annual Fund (35%)
· Designs and prepares direct mail appeals for the annual fund
· Works with Vision of Hope’s Marketing and Communication Director on messaging for annual fund solicitation, website, and social media.
· Communicates with mid-range annual fund donors between $1000- $5000 to cultivate, steward, and/or solicit their annual gift.
Presents regular progress reports to Executive Director and Board of Directors.
· Attends Advisory and Board of Directors meetings in the Bay Area and Los Angeles
· Participates in Vision of Hope’s annual fundraising events in the Bay Area and in Los Angeles
· Other duties as assigned
Core Qualities for a Successful Development Director
· Attention to detail
· Committed to the mission
· Relationally skilled
· Displays excellent time management and organizational skills to prioritize workload
· Displays excellent communication skills including in-person customer service, documentation, detail-orientation, and sensitivity with confidential documents and information
· Displays ability to remain calm and courteous under pressure
· Bachelors Degree (required)
· Five years of successful experience as a Development Director with an established non-profit organization (required)
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in a team setting
· Familiarity with Donor Perfect or similar donor database and a willingness to learn.
· Self-starter with the ability to identify and launch initiatives independently.
· Excellent, writing, analytical, presentation and research skills.
Please submit cover letter and resume to Ann Magovern, the Executive Director, at [email protected]
Position open until filled.
Salary Range is commensurate with experience.