The Nome-based News Director coordinates all KNOM AM & FM news programming and content, ensuring all programs are consistent with Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations as well as KNOM's Mission. The News Director is the supervisor to reporter staff.
This is an hourly, full-time position. Wage range is $30.30-$36.50/hr depending on experience and education. Benefits include health insurance, paid time off, 403B retirement plan.
1. Bachelor's degree, equivalent experience considered. 2. 2-3 years professional broadcasting experience.
3. Demonstrated ability to manage a team.
4. Proficiency with Adobe Audition.
5. Knowledge of current news and journalism standards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervise all KNOM news programming including selection, editing, and production of KNOM newscasts, features, weather, live call-in shows, and race season coverage, such as the Iditarod Sled Dog Race.
• Oversee news content edits for online audience at knom.org in collaboration with Web Director.
• Train, coach, and mentor all news staff and volunteer fellows in local, regional, and statewide issues and journalism standards.
• Report to General Manager to ensure news content meets FCC guidelines and KNOM mission.
• Schedule travel throughout Western Alaska to identify news tips and regional stories.
• Streamline news processes for efficient newsroom workflow and training.
• Anchor daily/weekly newscasts.
• Cover city, regional, and statewide meetings pertaining to regional issues.
• This is an on-call position pending breaking news and community events. Some evening, weekend, and holiday work may be required.
• Lead news team meetings & network with Alaska Public Radio Network.
Encountering Christ, Embracing Culture, Empowering Growth and Engaging the Listener.
Being a friend and companion while providing respectful service based on Catholic ideals.