EDITOR-IN-CHIEF (Catholic News Agency)
Full-time, Onsite; Washington, D.C.; not remote eligible
HOW YOU WILL IMPACT THE BIG PICTURE:
As the Editor-In-Chief, you will work with the Executive Director to establish editorial content and related strategy and manages the editorial team to accomplish strategic goals. You will handle the overall editing responsibilities for all content for Catholic News Agency. Provide quality control on articles and documents appearing on the specified medium, ensuring they are theologically correct and journalistically sound. Supervise the content that CNA delivers via social media, be it proprietary or from other EWTN partners.
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
• Formulate annual editorial calendar in conjunction with Executive Director. Ensure reasonably consistent editorial content with editorial calendar. Facilitate all possible integration with EWTN's production calendar.
• Review and manages editorial guidelines, policies, and related compliance.
• Revise content as necessary in order to enhance its quality and approves pieces based on preset guidelines. Confer with others as necessary to provide expertise, content, and advice regarding bioethics, politics, Church History, Church events, moral theology, general legal, and canon law.
• Ensure constant diversity of perspective (within bounds of magisterium faithful thought and charity) regarding coverage of news and approach to coverage (what to cover when, how, and from what angle).
• Ensure proper and consistent catechetical consistency of news and other content.
• Work with Executive Director to integrate the CNA strategy and content with EWTN News.
• Work with Executive Director to integrate coverage from around the globe through the ACI Group.
• Work with editors, writers, contractors, graphic artists and other personnel necessary to assemble and ensure on-time content.
• Check stories for legal, ethical and theological concerns and consults with Executive Director on questionable items.
• Assist Executive Director and Director of Operations with editorial budget planning and manages the editorial budget.
• Delegate responsibilities and sees that tasks are completed.
• Periodically evaluate all editors and writers; advise on improvement as needed.
• Perform chief reads on all copy; compile stories as needed.
• May represent CNA/EWTN at meetings and functions as requested.
• Maintain regular contact with Catholic Bishops, intellectuals and leaders of key Catholic organizations in order to guarantee a fluid relationship.
• Work with Executive Director to hire, motivate and manage the team. Provide regular feedback, constructive comments and training for staff.
• Select or delegate selection of stories from diocesan newspapers that can be paid and republished in our service.
• Oversee the improvement and management of the CNA Service for Editors, in coordination with the Director of Operations and the Senior Copy Editor.
• Work closely with the Digital Media Manager to supervise all CNA social media content to ensure best practices and alignment with CNA's mission and values.
• Spearhead the relationship with media providers (Getty Images, Shutterstock, etc.).
• Vet and select reliable stringers in places where we do not have correspondents.
• You have a minimum of 7-10 years' experience in Journalism or consistent writing, preferably within a News environment.
• You are a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing, possessing a thorough knowledge of the teachings of the Catholic Church with the ability to apply that knowledge to the News coverage.
• You possess excellent editing and organizational skills.
• You are able to work with colleagues and readers diplomatically.
• You are resilient in the face of unwarranted criticism and the ability to receive constructive feedback.
• You conduct strong relationship building and communication with internal staff, writers/bloggers, Catholic leaders, etc.
• You hold a great understanding of the role of digital and social media in the current news environment and remaining informed of changing trends.
• You are results oriented with proven ability to problem solve and meet deadlines.
• You hold an Undergraduate degree in Journalism, English, Church History, Theology or related field. Advanced degree preferred (Journalism, Theology, or Canon Law).
WHAT YOU'LL LOVE ABOUT WORKING HERE:
• We offer a career with purpose! Apply your God-given talents, knowing your contributions help advance EWTN's mission of sharing the Gospel with the world.
• Family-oriented working environment. We value the importance of family, and welcome you as an EWTN family member, not just an employee.
• Worship at work! Freedom to participate in daily Mass, Adoration, and prayer throughout your workday.
• Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including Health, Dental, Vision, Life/Disability insurance and Retirement Savings Plan.
• 11 Paid Holidays and generous Paid Time Off program.
• Tuition reimbursement for online continuing education and degree programs through our partnership with Catholic Distance University.
• Ability to learn alongside legacy employees while bringing new ideas to the growing team!
WHAT TO DO NEXT:
If you're ready to get started on EWTN's mission to bring the Gospel to the world, please email a cover letter, resume and your salary expectations to [email protected]. Thank you for considering EWTN and we look forward to hearing from you!