St. Bernard Preparatory School
JOB TITLE: TEACHER
QUALIFICATIONS: As set by State of Alabama certification authorities or as otherwise outlined (Masters Certified in English preferred)
REPORTS TO: Headmaster
JOB GOAL: To lead students toward their potential for intellectual, emotional, psychological, and physical growth and maturation through provision of appropriate guidance and learning experiences.
1. To understand and assist in upholding and enforcing school rules, administrative regulations, and St. Bernard Preparatory School Board of Education Policy.
2. To participate in the efficient and effective operation of the school and school system. Such participation shall include teachers in consultation through meetings, conferences, and committee responsibilities.
3. To accept no other employment which interferes with the efficient and effective discharge of teacher duties and responsibilities.
4. To abide by the standards established for teachers' professional and personal conduct by the printed and published guide which is printed in the St. Bernard Preparatory Board Policy Manual and Staff and Faculty Handbook.
5. To follow the courses of study approved by the St. Bernard Preparatory Board of Education and curriculum guides and textbooks approved and adopted by the St. Bernard Preparatory Board of Education. Other material used for instructional purposes must be approved by the Headmaster.
6. To assist in cultivating an environment which is connected to the Catholic identity and institutional charism of St. Bernard Preparatory School.
1. Report for duty at least fifteen minutes before the opening of school and remain at least ten minutes after the close of school.
2. Meet and instruct assigned classes in the locations at the times designated.
3. Develop and maintain a classroom environment conducive to effective learning within the limits of the resources provided and appropriate to the interests and maturity of the students.
4. Establish and maintain appropriate discipline in the classroom and assist staff in establishment and maintenance of discipline in the school environment.
5. Prepare for classes assigned, and show written evidence of preparation upon request of the Headmaster.
6. Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, board policy, and administrative regulation.
7. Evaluate student progress on a regular basis and in accordance with the school's established procedures.
8. Seek assistance of specialists as needed and make referrals when appropriate.
9. Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students and to safeguard all equipment, materials, and facilities.
10. Make reasonable provision for being available to students and parents for education related purposes outside the instructional day. Procedures for such conferences will be mutually agreed upon by faculty and administration.
11. Work with other staff members in planning school activities, instructional goals, objectives, and methods.
12. Assist in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
13. All teachers participate in extracurricular activities as mutually agreed upon by faculty and administration. All staff must assist with the Blooming Festival and Barbeque and Blues.
14. Attend and participate regularly in faculty meetings.
15. Maintain a professional, cooperative working relationship with parents and school community.
16. Promote good public relations for school and with the general public.
17. Maintain and improve professional competence.
18. Perform other related duties during school necessary to the safe and effective operation of the school when requested by the Headmaster.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Nine-, ten-, eleven-, or twelve-month contract. Salary according to proper placement on current salary schedule. Exempt employee.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy.